Author Topic: Logitech F310 gamepad 1/2 of output missing ?? enCoRe V CY7C643xx MCU  (Read 489 times)

Offline MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I have a used f310 game controller with the standard analog thumb-sticks with dual-axis- 10k pot's. They have 1V across them to GND. The problem is with the right stick's L-R output that ends up in windows. I have windows 10 w/updates, and the correct logitech driver. And calibrating it w/ joy.cpl did not help

If I look at the raw output in the calibration settings or on a website for that, everything works fine except the right stick, which is a 10k pot divided into 16-bit, so 0-65,535 (maybe only 9-bit in windows, 512 steps of 128). When the thumbstick is centered, it reads as if it's stuck at ~43k, and pushing it to the left some, it will get to 1/2 way point of 32.8k. But then only once it's all the way to the left, it jump's from 32.8K directly to 0 (or actually 128 I think).

Pushing it to the right, more or less seems normal, except it starts centered at 43k, and goes smoothly up to 65k.

So it's like the range got moved and stretched, and all the steps of the lower half are gone.

Looking at the center of the pot, which has 1V to GND across it, I can see the voltage is centered at 0.5V, and moves nicely from just above 0V to just below 1V. So that's not the problem. The trace goes directly into the MCU, so an ADC inside it.

So if its a hardware problem, maybe some of the transistors responsible for the 0-0.5V part aren't working. The chips are expensive tho, it's cheaper to get a new controller.

But for fun, I'd like to see what's happening in the chip.

It has I2C, SPI, so how hard or easy would it be (for a CS newb) to see inside some memory register, and see what data is or isn't getting out of the ADC, or any diagnostics that might have warning flags ? Maybe the thing need rebooting and re-flashing somehow. Most searching on repairing these, is for dirt/dust repair, not EE/CS

Or would it be all hidden behind firmware, encrypted ROM, and you would need a CS degree to do that ? Just skimming through chapter 6-7, I'm way over my head that's for sure.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:46:05 am by MathWizard »

Offline MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hmmm somehow it has been fixed. I got it a month ago and installed drivers back then, and it was having the problem. I tried it a few times since, and I've rebooted and it was the same.

Then I tried it yesterday again, before I was about to take off it's thumbstick/pot's and put them on my old controller. And it worked almost perfect. Played a few race games for once in ages. I bought a few this year, but my old controller's pot's are worn out, then I finally got this used 1.

The cost of the dual-axis part is about the same as a cheap, but new controller, same with the chip.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf