Author Topic: looking for Arduino Parts list and or schematic  (Read 16215 times)

MikeJuszkie

looking for Arduino Parts list and or schematic
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:38:43 pm »
I am looking in to building my own Arduino but I am failing to find the parts list as well as a good schematic diagram to fallow. Can anyone please help.
Also It would help to get dimensions if that is possible for correct placement of the pins. I want them to be right so i can still use shields.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: looking for Arduino Parts list and or schematic
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:41:36 pm »

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 02:23:15 am »
You'll probably find that by the time you add up the costs of all the parts (for a one off, at least), it would be cheaper to just buy one. The USB to serial chip is a fine pitch SMD, meaning that you'll need a PCB to put it on anyways. There's also the bootloading problem, which can be worked around but it just adds another source of problems for a beginner.

Now if you're looking for features that are not available on an official Arduino, it might be worthwhile.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 02:40:52 am »
i never tried, but meditated on it, all the basic stuff you need are USB to UART module, breadboard (probably with jumpers) and the bare chip (download and install the bootloader or get the pre-install chip). you can get only one usb-uart and breadboard module. and then buy many bare chips to save the cost (average per arduino). and program with Arduino IDE all you like just any other mcu brand (pickit or avr MK programmer). no need extra programmer, just a $3 usb-uart. the fun stuff is that you can take out the bare chip after being programmed and put into your circuit, not like off-the-shelf arduino, you are stuck with all those arduino footprint DIP pins.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 02:51:28 am »
What I don't get is people who ask questions like "I want to build a moon rocket," or "I want to build a nuclear reactor, please tell me how?"

If you can't figure out how to navigate the Arduino web site and download the hardware build instructions without asking for help, there is about no chance you have the skills to successfully build an Arduino. Why do you even delude yourself that you know what you are doing?

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:16:11 am »
Hi Mike,
my first question is why do you want to build an arduino on your own?
-Is it for size reasons (want to build sth. on arduino and leave it assembeld...too much stuff on an prebuild board unused?).
-You want to learn how a microcontroller works through that?
-You just want to try to build it?

I think there are eagle files for all Arduinos on the HP under Hardware.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Hardware

It's all there

If you don't have eagle installed you can use a non-commercial private version for free (they offer as download). Otherwise just have a look on the Schematics there. They are fairly easy to read and you could check what's needed to keep the bare chip running.

If you want to build a full Arduino just to use it... I think you are really better off buying one. You need PCB's, parts and so on.
I think you could use an Arduino UNO, slim it down and build with preinstalled chip, and an external FTDI cable like that one from Sparkfun if my brain has understood the basics right. You may check one of the Mini's or the Fio then. They are programmed with an external FTDI cable and I think they are quite low level of components to get it running (but SMD, so you may need an adapter board or so if you want a breadboard use of the chip alone)
http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino_mini_schematic04.pdf

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 12:17:40 pm »
I am looking in to building my own Arduino but I am failing to find the parts list as well as a good schematic diagram to fallow. Can anyone please help.
Also It would help to get dimensions if that is possible for correct placement of the pins. I want them to be right so i can still use shields.

The schematic and Eagle design files for the current Arduino Uno are available from here - http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

If you want to make your own single-sided board with USB, don't bother - just get a Freeduino kit as it has the FT232 and USB socket pre-soldered - http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/freeduino-usb-complete-kit-p-58.html?cPath=138

If you want to make a minimalist Arduino using a breadboard, I have explained the process here -
http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/getting-started-with-arduino-chapter-ten/

You can create a serial only single-sided Arduino board very easily, for example a KitTen -
http://www.freetronics.com/products/kitten (Schematic link at the bottom of the page)

or an EMSL Diavolono -
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/diavolino

have fun
john

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:21:43 pm »
Hehe,
now you have a step by step process for your DIY Arduino ;)

@Tronixstuff:
I have been on your site a few times. Great work and a nice and easy resource. Thank you for that one and keep on!

MikeJuszkie

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 03:46:53 pm »
Hi Mike,
my first question is why do you want to build an arduino on your own?
-Is it for size reasons (want to build sth. on arduino and leave it assembeld...too much stuff on an prebuild board unused?).
-You want to learn how a microcontroller works through that?
-You just want to try to build it?

I think there are eagle files for all Arduinos on the HP under Hardware.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Hardware

It's all there

If you don't have eagle installed you can use a non-commercial private version for free (they offer as download). Otherwise just have a look on the Schematics there. They are fairly easy to read and you could check what's needed to keep the bare chip running.

If you want to build a full Arduino just to use it... I think you are really better off buying one. You need PCB's, parts and so on.
I think you could use an Arduino UNO, slim it down and build with preinstalled chip, and an external FTDI cable like that one from Sparkfun if my brain has understood the basics right. You may check one of the Mini's or the Fio then. They are programmed with an external FTDI cable and I think they are quite low level of components to get it running (but SMD, so you may need an adapter board or so if you want a breadboard use of the chip alone)
http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/arduino_mini_schematic04.pdf

I am looking for more the exact specs on the board itself like the pin location. I have come across the schematic off the site but I really want to  have the exact specs. Im looking to make it look exactly the same as the one you can buy off the site the UNO.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 03:57:30 pm »
I am looking for more the exact specs on the board itself like the pin location. I have come across the schematic off the site but I really want to  have the exact specs. Im looking to make it look exactly the same as the one you can buy off the site the UNO.
That information is provided in the Hardware section of the Arduino site. Click on Arduino Uno, download the file "arduino-uno-reference-design.zip". The information should all be in there, with details of PCB design, layout, dimensions, everything.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 06:10:25 pm »
I am looking for more the exact specs on the board itself like the pin location.
In the "true spirit of open source", you're going to have to derive that information by looking at the EAGLE design files (the source code), rather than finding it separately documented.  (actually, there have been a couple measured drawings posted to the arduino forums.  http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1280981627 )

(same thing for the "parts list" or "bill of materials."  There's an EAGLE script to derive a BoM from the board file, but the reference designs don't contain things like actual manufacturer part numbers or distributor ordering codes, the way "the pros" like to do things.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:12:45 pm by westfw »

Offline Achilles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 06:36:06 pm »
Ok, download the eagle files I would say. You have PCB Layout and resistors and so on given there, too. You can use the i (information) Tool to get more infos about the used part when you click on it.
I don't have the Uno files at hand right now, but even with a Maple Board (ARM M3) it looks managable to lookup parts.

Have fun with that Project :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf