Author Topic: Looking for MCU with many timers  (Read 2758 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Looking for MCU with many timers
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 03:42:57 pm »
The whole idea was to use 6 independent timers with output compare to generate frequencies directly. Using timer interrupts was never an option because of the relatively large jitter. (especially on ARMs)
So one needs 6 independent timers. One timer with 6 output compare channels is not able to generate 6 different frequencies, just 6 different pulse widths.
Actually you can. Just set an interrupt for when the output compare triggers and update the compare register with the next trigger point in the interrupt service routine. The timer counter itself just runs freely and wraps back to zero.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: rhodges

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 03:55:48 pm »
Renesas' RX series has lots of powerful timers, but I don't know offhand if they have anything that fit your package requirements.

Offline rhodges

• Frequent Contributor
  • Available for embedded projects.
    • My public libraries, code samples, and projects for STM8.
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2019, 05:32:42 pm »
@nctnico: Thanks, glad you spelled it out. Apparently, my post did not explain the idea properly.
Currently developing STM8 and STM32. Past includes 6809, Z80, 8086, PIC, MIPS, PNX1302, and some 8748 and 6805. Check out my public code on github. https://github.com/unfrozen

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2019, 10:21:43 pm »

- at least 6x  16bit timers that can be used for frequency generation (50% duty cycle is sufficient, no pwm)
- 4x ADC
- Internal RC oscillator, at least 16Mhz
- cheap:  < $1
- bonus points: programmable logic

What frequency range and granularity do you need ? Is internal or external oscillator needed ?
eg the EFM8LB1 has programmable logic & 72MHz sysclk, so it can produce 16b to up to ~ 1100Hz, and the 6 channel PCA can use HSO mode to SW manage multiple frequencies, up to some SW-overhead limit.
I'd expect something above 100kHz to be possible, via HSO and above 281KHz there is a 8b FreqOut mode, plus the programmable logic can toggle on any timer overflow.

Offline andyturk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 04:47:40 pm »
Take a look at Cypress PSoC 4200 (ARM Cortex M0). There are several hardware timer blocks as well as programmable digital blocks that can be turned into timers.

Offline labnet

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2019, 12:02:19 am »
I would second Andy. PSOC5 has enough macro blocks to spin up all sorts of crazy custom hardware in a really easy to use IDE.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf