Author Topic: Microcontroller for driving R61505V round lcd  (Read 3825 times)

Offline BoogamiTopic starter

• Contributor
Microcontroller for driving R61505V round lcd
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:31:03 pm »
Hello,
I am working on a personal project and I have a round lcd like this one
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1vT.THFXXXXXXaXXXq6xXFXXXB/Free-ship-1-38-inch-Round-TFT-LCD-220x220-30pin-for-Moblie-screen.jpg .
I don't know what mcu should i choose for driving this display because it has 8 bit parallel interface and the maximum voltage is 2.9V.
The STM32L4 mcus seems to have an lcd controller but that option is on 144 lqfp packages and I want to stay with an easy to solder mcu.

I have also attached the datasheet for this display.

Thank you.  :)

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
Re: Microcontroller for driving R61505V round lcd
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:58:05 pm »
There's no need for a specific LCD interface, as the controller chip in this display is hardwired for an 8080-like 8 bit bus.

Moreover, the LCD peripheral of the STM32L4 is good for driving classic segment displays, not TFT ones with an integrated controller.

You are completely free to choose any MCU that:
  • Can provide enough IOs, either directly or through I2C/SPI port extenders.
  • Can work at the required 2.9V

One MCU peripheral that might come handy is a controller for external memory, which allows you to map the display simply as 2 memory positions (one for commands and one for data), but I don't think it should primarily drive your selection.

So, just choose what you are more comfortable with: Atmel, STM32xxxx, PSoC, etc.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 06:12:00 pm »
stm32L4 is fine. You need to look at FSMC (flexible static memory controller)

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
Thank you all for the answers.

I've selected STM32L496VET6 http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2283396.pdf?_ga=2.241025347.1384314487.1500375453-365338777.1495706486%27 and it has FMC Bank1 available.

In the controller chip datasheet it says that I can drive IOVCC and VCC with 3.3v but in the screen datasheet it says 2.8v.

Can I use 3.3v from the mcu without using a level shifter? And if I can't do that can someone suggest me a level shifter?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:33:56 pm by Boogami »

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 05:18:06 am »
Why do you need level shifter? Just power stm with 2.8 and done.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 06:33:09 am »
Because I use other parts too. Here is a rough block diagram with the parts that I want to use.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 11:18:39 am »
There's no need for a specific LCD interface, as the controller chip in this display is hardwired for an 8080-like 8 bit bus.

Moreover, the LCD peripheral of the STM32L4 is good for driving classic segment displays, not TFT ones with an integrated controller.

One MCU peripheral that might come handy is a controller for external memory, which allows you to map the display simply as 2 memory positions (one for commands and one for data), but I don't think it should primarily drive your selection.

So, just choose what you are more comfortable with: Atmel, STM32xxxx, PSoC, etc.

or a MCU that has a parallel / display interface, whatever they want to call it. ST uses FSMC if i remember right

i recommend you READ the device datasheet before settling on the MCU. for example, lower pin count packages usually have only 8 bit data width available and/or no address lines available. Depending on your use case it could be a problem
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:20:23 am by JPortici »

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:05:29 pm »
Because I use other parts too. Here is a rough block diagram with the parts that I want to use.
If you can't run the whole system at 2.8V, you might check whether it's possible to just run the MCU and display at that voltage (possible problems: noise immunity and High logic level, need for >Vcc tolerant IOs).

Yet another possibility might be to configure the MCU pins as Open Drain, and use pull ups (but check the timing).

If none of the above applies, there are several level translators that can be used, e.g. TI TXS0108E and the  4 bit version (that would cover the full display interface). They are not especially chip, though.

or a MCU that has a parallel / display interface, whatever they want to call it. ST uses FSMC if i remember right

i recommend you READ the device datasheet before settling on the MCU. for example, lower pin count packages usually have only 8 bit data width available and/or no address lines available. Depending on your use case it could be a problem

Yes, FMC/FSMC for STM32s, EMIF component for PSoCs.

Still, even bit-banging the transaction would amount to 5-6 lines of C code as only 8 data bits, 3 control lines (WE,OE,CS) and one address line (command/data) are needed.

If the OP is familiar with a specific brand/family, the effort of learning a new set of peripherals/library or even a new toolchain or IDE may very well be much larger than the coding and testing of a couple of simple functions, and the trade-off in efficiency should be tolerable; that was the reason of my advice.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 03:07:48 pm »
good thing about parallel port drivers / memory controllers is that DMA can do all the thing while you actually do something with the MCU :)

(or i can use an XMOS with a core solely for the memory interface :P )

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 05:48:48 pm »
Also why adding another chip ontoto the board e.g UART to USB. You have the USB inside a chip, and STM provides CDC code..

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 06:53:01 pm »
If the OP is familiar with a specific brand/family, the effort of learning a new set of peripherals/library or even a new toolchain or IDE may very well be much larger than the coding and testing of a couple of simple functions, and the trade-off in efficiency should be tolerable; that was the reason of my advice.

I am familiar with stm32f4 and that is why I wanted to go with something from them.

good thing about parallel port drivers / memory controllers is that DMA can do all the thing while you actually do something with the MCU :)

(or i can use an XMOS with a core solely for the memory interface :P )

I haven't used an XMOS chip before. How hard it is to work with?

Also why adding another chip ontoto the board e.g UART to USB. You have the USB inside a chip, and STM provides CDC code..

I thought that it was a good idea to use a dedicated chip for the USB task.

And also thanks for all the help.   :D

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 07:20:48 pm »
I haven't used an XMOS chip before. How hard it is to work with?

nevermind, it's kind of an inside joke :)

IMHO: if you have a chip with FSMC (for ST, other name, same thing, for others) you just have to set it up properly and update the framebuffer in RAM if you need to change the displayed image, the peripheral will do all of the hard work.
then, if you have USB on board and have the available cycles, i would use it instead of an external chip. external chip costs a lot in terms of money and board space (well, a pic16f1455, programmed as an USB-UART bridge or something will be as small as a 3x3mm QFN, no need for crystals) and you are limited by them in what transfert speed you can achieve.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf