Mcu programming 101 writeup

(1/9) > >>

wek:
[shameless self-promotion] http://efton.sk/STM32/mcu_programming_101.html

Comments welcome.
[/shameless self-promotion]

JW

pcprogrammer:
Good to see someone promote bare metal programming instead of using the manufacturers pile of garbage like STM HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layers) code. I, for sure am no fan of those :-DD
It might be me, but most of my attempts to make a simple program with their IDE and generated code failed to work :palm:

My comment: Since it is aimed towards the novice you might refrain from abbreviations like RMW and use read-modify-write instead.

Electro707:
Nice article! Great for a beginner so they are aware that just calling `digitalWrite()` isn't all there is to it (also that specific function is way too bloated, but that's a conversation for a different day).

--- Quote ---Good to see someone promote bare metal programming instead of using the manufacturers pile of garbage like STM HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layers) code. I, for sure am no fan of those :-DD
--- End quote ---
From my experience generally HALs tend to be meh. I personally prefer things like ST's LL (Low Level) code as a nice middle-ground, which is nice when needing to switch the micro to a different one of the same family. At least with ST's generator there is an option to switch the initialization from HAL to LL which I do everytime.

brucehoult:
Good start. It ended just as I was getting into it :-)

wek:
Thanks.

Tried to make it as sparse as possible. Got carried away towards the end.

May extend/follow up in the future, but I am not sure how. The topic is too wide and I don't feel confident enough to write authoritatively about the details.

Not to mention time.

JW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version