Author Topic: MicroPython on the ESP8266  (Read 1596 times)

Offline John_LTopic starter

• Contributor
MicroPython on the ESP8266
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:24:33 am »
Micropython is an option to program microcontrollers in high level Python language .
It has its advantages and disadvantages and appropriate uses.

http://micropython.org/

New Kikcstarter campaign is to develop a more professional port to ESP8266 with  main emphasis on wireless networking functionality. This follows a very successful Kickstarter in 2014 for the original Micropython.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/214379695/micropython-on-the-esp8266-beautifully-easy-iot

Initial objective of £6,000 was passed in less than 3 days and they are looking to achieve at least £12,000 to develop more functionality and features.

For those that are interested please have a look at Kikckstarter and support if you can.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
Re: MicroPython on the ESP8266
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:47:19 am »
Wonder how it stacks up to eLua (NodeMCU for esp8266). Python is a superior language, but I wonder if that will make MicroPython heavier than Lua.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
Re: MicroPython on the ESP8266
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:15:54 pm »
I was just checking up on ESP8266 support in the micro-python forums a day or so ago. I seem to have missed this.

I looked at the existing port, and a fork, about a month ago. I actually got a working repl over a serial connection, but found that documentation was lagging development and various APIs had been moved or renamed.

It looked like there was also a larger effort to refactor some of the micropython APIs to better accommodate differing hardware. It was originally created for the pyboard, but the recently shipped wipy, not to mention various community ports to other boards made it a pressing issue.

I'm glad there is a way to support the work.

Wonder how it stacks up to eLua (NodeMCU for esp8266). Python is a superior language, but I wonder if that will make MicroPython heavier than Lua.

The original proof of concept from fall of 2014 had ~24K heap available to user code. Not sure where it is now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf