Author Topic: Moving into 32-bit MCU  (Read 17496 times)

Online technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Re: Moving into 32-bit MCU
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2017, 07:06:29 am »
That is the problem but so does nVidia or Imagination (PowerVR) do this too. Allwinner do drop code but blobs are common.

And if I run a chip company, I don't want a global software leader to say F me.
I'm fine with binary blobs for FW, but for code running on the same CPU in the same memory space of kernel, I prefer not to have blobs.
At least it seem to me that Allwinner don’t mind a potential GPL violation suit or on the receiving end of the said leader’s F bomb or the proverbial bird.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2017, 07:50:37 am »
Some mcu companies only target business to business sales in huge quantities.
Broadcom comes to mind with their socs that have m4 cortex in them, try find a datasheet, it is unobtanium unless you are working inside such a business deal company.
For an individual the smart move is to go with the mainstream companies that offer documentation, support and where forum members can help with experience.

Elf

« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2017, 08:08:40 am »
For an individual the smart move is to go with the mainstream companies that offer documentation, support and where forum members can help with experience.
I agree, those are very important things. I like and use Renesas personally (along with many other platforms / manufacturers) and find the documentation enough for my purposes, but I won't say that everyone needs to drop what they are using and go pick up some Renesas chips. At the end of the day there are plenty of chips that do the same things. I think we're lucky to have so many choices today.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf