Author Topic: Pic mcu alternatives???  (Read 41677 times)

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
Re: Pic mcu alternatives???
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2017, 11:11:41 pm »
I only use DIP packages

This will restrict you a lot. For me it is easier to solder TQFP than using DIP chips, and you can use it on a breadboard with an adapter (cheap at eBay). But with services like [https://oshpark.com]OSH Park[/url] and seeedstudio it is really cheap to create a professional board for your application with all required parts, even for prototyping, if you place some strategically pin headers.

My latest breakout board for a STM32L433, a NRF51822 bluetooth module and some pin headers for various ePaper displays:

Smaller than 10 cm x 10 cm, so costs $0.49 per board (minimum 10 boards) at seeedstudio.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2017, 11:29:54 pm »
You don't need a concave shaped tip, there are good Youtube videos about it, Dave did one recently:

Pin pitch doesn't matter. The trick is not to use too much solder, lots of flux, and if there is a bridge, it is easy to fix it with solder wick.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #152 on: July 03, 2017, 01:08:39 am »
In KiCAD there are hand solder version of most packages, with longer pads. If you use the default pads, which are perfect for reflow soldering, it can be difficult to solder it by hand.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2017, 01:12:31 am »
For me it is easier to solder TQFP than using DIP chips, and you can use it on a breadboard with an adapter (cheap at eBay).

Mind let me know how do you manage to solder TQFP parts? I solder down to 0402/0.5mm BGA/0.4mm QFN without problems, due to self alignment and shorter (practically zero) pin length (allows nowhere for bridging to happen).
When I solder TSSOP/TQFP chips, bridging happens all the time. I know a concave shaped hoof tips will help, but Metcal doesn't have such tips.
Lots of flux.

I drag solder QFP packages a lot. It is normal to have solder bridges after the first pass, but it can be fixed with a big chisel tip that sucks the solder away with a lot of flux.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Elf

« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2017, 02:56:42 am »
This will restrict you a lot. For me it is easier to solder TQFP than using DIP chips, and you can use it on a breadboard with an adapter (cheap at eBay).
I agree; most of the parts I want to use these days only come in surface mount. So I just went all in and set myself up for it.

Here are some bad cellphone photos of what I was working on today:
Soldered only using a Hakko FX-888D with chisel tip, and solder wick:

Fresh out of the reflow oven, with more through-hole parts added manually:

The oven is great; it is a ControLeo2 built on a $32 toaster oven. Total cost was somewhere around $250 plus a few evenings of time. Some care when building it and it met the profile on the first learning cycle, and has worked without issue.

I also have a hot air station, etc. but again, it is possible to get started with just a basic soldering iron. In any case I think if one prepares well there is no reason to shy away from surface mount. Even if only to make boards to break out modules to DIP for breadboarding. But I usually just go straight to PCB and keep multiple projects up in the air so that the ~2 week turnaround doesn't get to me.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2017, 03:00:50 am »
I solder down to 0402/0.5mm BGA/0.4mm QFN without problems, due to self alignment and shorter (practically zero) pin length (allows nowhere for bridging to happen).

So I have a board with a 48pin QFN, that I was going to solder with "smear on some paste, place chip, heat on a hotplate, and let wicking and surface tension do all the hard work" method.  But after looking at the actual board, and doing some actual experiments with the "smear paste" method on simpler components, I'm starting to have some doubts (especially give the lack of inspectability of a QFN.)

Any advice?  It seems that most of the video tutorials suggest reflowing the solder on to the pads as a separate step BEFORE placing the chip (smear flux/paste, melt, cool, smear more flux, place chip, heat again...)  That seems like it would probably help.  yes? no?

Online NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2017, 03:10:39 am »
For me it is easier to solder TQFP than using DIP chips, and you can use it on a breadboard with an adapter (cheap at eBay).

I 100% agree. Pin-for-pin, TQFP is much faster to solder than DIP. Not to mention that you can save lots of money on board size because you will need much smaller PCB, which are also easier to work with. I have just ordered a breadboard adapter for PIC32MZ DA from OshPark with Internet, USB and LCD headers, and it was only $40 for 3 4-layers boards. Size matters!

Online Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf