Author Topic: PIC12F bootloader (PIC12F1572)  (Read 1279 times)

Offline WarhawkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
PIC12F bootloader (PIC12F1572)
« on: February 22, 2019, 10:12:15 pm »
Guys,
could anyone recommend a reliable bootloader for the PIC12F family?
I have a community, non-profit project which would benefit from it. Something which would simply allow technical user updating the firmware without much hassle. Something with arduino simplicity.

The command line in linux & windows would be enough. I googled few projects but the gui is often quite overkill.

PS: It may easily happen that  SNAP or a PK3 clone programmer with the GUI is more practical than supplying a USB-to-serial converter and some bloated software.

Thanks for any tip!

Jiri

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: PIC12F bootloader (PIC12F1572)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:23:32 pm »
The ds30 bootloader supposedly supports PIC12F chips. I've never used it on a PIC that small but it worked okay on PIC24s. There is a paid version and an old open source free version.

If you want simplest method then a PICkit with the new firmware loaded inside for the Programmer-To-Go feature would do it. They plug in the PICkit to the ICSP socket + power and then press the button to load the new firmware. Somebody does need to prepare the PICkit though.

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 11:36:52 pm »
I would spend the $15 on a SNAP if/when needed (the technical user), and be done with it. You are $5-10 above the usb-serial converter you otherwise would have to buy, but now you have the advantage of being able to easily switch to another chip without having to worry about a bootloader each time you switch. You also no longer need to worry about special linker scripts, reduction in user app flash availability, special software, and so on. You also get the advantage of being able to debug when needed. A one time purchase that will last many years. If you are using (and need) the mclr pin on a 12F (cannot then use low voltage programming), then move to a 14 pin pic.

Bootloaders have a place, but can often be more work and trouble than they are worth. The best bootloader is no bootloader.

Offline WarhawkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 02:59:57 pm »
Thanks a lot guys. I think I will go the way with external programmer. It really makes better sense.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf