Author Topic: Replacement of development environment for LPC2388  (Read 922 times)

Offline perdrixTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Replacement of development environment for LPC2388
« on: November 07, 2021, 11:03:26 am »
Consider a design based on the NXP LPC2388 ARM uP.   A lifetime buy of those has been made, so there is no wish to change the hardware.

The development environment being used now is the Keil MDK at a fairly eye-watering cost (need the TCP/IP, USB etc. stacks).   Would like to stop using that.

I'm interested to hear your recommendations for a development environment that will be reasonably pain free to migrate to and is ideally open source.

Ease of migration is the key issue here.

Thanks
David

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Replacement of development environment for LPC2388
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 09:41:50 pm »
Any GCC based environment should be able to do the job and throw in FreeRTOS as well. Nowadays NXP has a system in place that lets you put together a board support package pretty quick. But I think you'll need to spend time porting the software you have to run on a different OS and protocol stacks.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline cfbsoftware

• Regular Contributor
    • Astrobe: Oberon IDE for Cortex-M and FPGA Development
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 11:36:09 pm »
I haven't used it myself but an alternative commercial GCC-based solution that may be worth investigating is Rowley Crossworks:

https://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/index.htm

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
https://www.astrobe.com

Offline engineer_in_shorts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 07:13:23 am »
So that we understand alternative suggestions, Why stop using Keil when development is already underway?... Assumes there is some licenses already purchased.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf