Author Topic: MC68HC912D60A reprogram after failed update  (Read 4290 times)

Offline CozzmoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
MC68HC912D60A reprogram after failed update
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:40:13 am »
Hi all,

I have some coffee vending machines based on the above chip. While messing about today, i managed to not give it enough time to do an update on the internal flash which it reads from an external EPROM. It compares the version on startup and if a different version is fitted, it updates its internal flash. The LCD screen now just comes up blank no matter what version EPROM is installed now. It gives no indication when its finished programming, usually i give it 5 minutes, but just didn't time it today and probably power cycled after only about 1-2 minutes.

I have absolutely zero experience with this kind of stuff (and obviously dont have the tools), but i was wondering if anyone here would have the tools to read out and reprogram one of these chips if a 'known good' board was provided as a donor to 'read' ?

Not a big issue, i have a good number of spares, but thought someone here might have the hardware and want to give it a shot.

• Regular Contributor
Re: MC68HC912D60A reprogram after failed update
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:36:49 pm »
For those who are curious about what the board looks like, here are the two revisions of the board. Both function identically, the added connector is not used in normal operation & i have no idea what its for.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:43 pm »
The only one who can help you is the manufacturer of the board. Just call their tech support. That kind of companies are often willing to help.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:56:10 pm »
Unfortunately support is near impossible to get, even when the machines were still in production support was not very good. Plus its from Italy, so that increases the difficulty. Its not a major issue, i have spares, just thought if there was any place that would have someone who had the tools to do it, it'd be here.

Cheers.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 05:55:23 am »
SAECO board?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 06:20:08 am »
Very good ! ;)

Yes, SG500E (not the NE). FW v1.12/1.16/1.22 not the 2.xx FW. (although the NE boards look basically identical the membrane pad and other accessory boards are different so can't use the 2.xx FW on my machines)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 01:27:13 pm »
This may sound like an odd suggestion, but try an automotive shop that can do ECU reprogramming.

The reason is because the HC12 series was common in ECUs and they may have the programmer able to clone the firmware for you.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 06:37:01 am »
Thanks for that. Do you have an example of a car that used it?

I do ECU work on the side with 90's to early 00's Nissan but its all EEPROM based stuff and just from general car stuff, the interface for upload/download of mapping stuff is fairly specific and doesn't generally give access directly to the CPU.

Certainly worth a try though if i can get an idea of the models of cars that used them though.

Cheers.

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 06:42:59 am »
Have you checked to see if there are other people servicing that particular product, (ie forums etc), perhaps someone else has had the problem ( I certainly would expect that you are not the first), there may be some relevant 'fix' info around somewhere.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:49:27 am »
I haven't really found a lot of information out there to be honest, especially for these 'older' machines.

As they are getting on in age and Saeco Vending really doesn't have much of a presence in Australia as far as i'm aware since they were taken over by Philips, although probably still availible to purchase, their idea of support is/was just replace whole parts. Like with the Main Power Card that has an odd Mosfet or a resistor blow up, replace it (the whole board) with a new one that will have the same fault in less than 6 months time.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 01:10:10 pm »
Thanks for that. Do you have an example of a car that used it?

I do ECU work on the side with 90's to early 00's Nissan but its all EEPROM based stuff and just from general car stuff, the interface for upload/download of mapping stuff is fairly specific and doesn't generally give access directly to the CPU.

Certainly worth a try though if i can get an idea of the models of cars that used them though.

Cheers.
Plenty of them.

http://oktja.net/page_all_1.html

Search for "68HC912".

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 05:56:44 am »
OK thanks for that. I'll do some research and see if any of them work generically with that family of chip for a straight read/write rather than an auto specific thing of modifying specific addresses etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf