Author Topic: Pressure sensor recommendation  (Read 977 times)

Offline ali_asadzadehTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Pressure sensor recommendation
« on: October 21, 2019, 08:14:16 am »
Hi,
One of my customers has a new project, he asked me to find a Pressure sensor with these specs,
It should be able to measure 600BAR and should be able to withstand at least 125C working environment, also it should have an accuracy of about +-0.05% FS psi

Searching digikey, I was confused, since I never used a Pressure sensor before, I prefer SMD and Digital output, do we have something? also I can cope with other type too like the analog output versions.
ASiDesigner :)
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
Re: Pressure sensor recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 08:45:08 am »
600bar - forget about SMD!
+-0.05% FS psi is quite demanding for that temperature & pressure range.
You are probably aware of Quartzdyne who market calibrated sensors for your application, +-0.02% FS and ~5-20KUSD.
They will likely be unavailable to you at the moment, assuming your country flag is set correctly.
There are very few other (none?) viable resonating pressure sensors openly available for your temperature range.
So, pick a strain gauge, do your own calibration (you have a dead-weight pressure generator, right?) and you may get to +-0.05% FS.
Kulite, Kistler, Keller, Paine, Sensonetics....again, availability in your country may be an issue with some of those.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:05:43 am by voltsandjolts »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 08:58:19 am »
You are into really into Hydraulic territory at 600Bar. Are you dealing with fluid or gas and which one and if your client hasn't specified then get some details before you go forward?

I used to work for part of this company in Oz and some of there gear should be suitable https://www.stauff.com/index.php?id=4238&L=1 and being German hopefully available to you.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:36:36 am »
Thanks for the tips, There is always china to get the parts, Hopefully ;) the problem for now is finding the damn thing!

I think it would be used for Oil maybe, I'm guessing tough. if I ask them to increase the accuracy, is it easier?

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:47:39 am »
Yes, almost certainly your customer requires a pressure sensor for use in the depths of an oil well.
Decreasing the accuracy requirement for any measurement system makes it easier ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 09:49:10 am »
You will want to ask some of the following sort of questions as the sensor build will vary.

Chemistry (if they will tell you)
Viscosity (this sort of info the sensor company will likely ask you)
Hazzard level (If EXE or EXD type of rating is needed so you don't blow up or is LV DC ok providing it has no contacts?)
Generally Viton for an elastomer is fine for most petrochem products but ask what they use (maybe teflon or ??).

Unless you have a trusted source in China you don't want to go there. Petrochem industry is generally touchy about what it will and won't allow from Cables to sensors to even enclosures.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 01:13:34 pm »
The +/-0.05% requirement will be, of course, very challenging.
Be aware that at this pressure range, the mounting of the sensor will be ultra-critical, but you probably already know that.

I recommend this: https://metallux.ch/pressuresensor/?pressure_sensors_view_type=table
very good products.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 06:21:57 am »
Thanks for the tips

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 03:28:02 pm »