Author Topic: QMC5883L temperature sensor  (Read 1409 times)

Offline wilhe_joTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
QMC5883L temperature sensor
« on: July 22, 2022, 05:25:22 pm »
Hi!

Anyone got a temper reading from the QMC5883L?

The magnetic sensor part seems to give me reasonable values, but the temperature always reads 0.

Regards,
    Johann

Offline rooppoorali

• Regular Contributor
Re: QMC5883L temperature sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 02:26:01 pm »
I didn't see anyone using  QMC5883L for temperature reading. I think for temperature reading, It's better to add an LM35 to the setup for dependable readings.
https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/2019/01/introduction-to-lm35.html

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 04:42:39 pm »
What kind of answer is that? It has temperatuire sensor, so it should be usable:
Code: [Select]
9.2.3 Temperature Data Registers
Registers 07H-08H store temperature sensor output data. 16 bits temperature sensor output is in 2’s complement.
Temperature sensor gain is factory-calibrated, but its offset has not been compensated, only relative temperature
value is accurate. The temperature coefficient is about 100 LSB/℃

Are you reading regs 0x07 & 0x08? Are they both reading 0?
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline rooppoorali

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 09:52:05 am »
What kind of answer is that? It has temperatuire sensor, so it should be usable:
Code: [Select]
9.2.3 Temperature Data Registers
Registers 07H-08H store temperature sensor output data. 16 bits temperature sensor output is in 2’s complement.
Temperature sensor gain is factory-calibrated, but its offset has not been compensated, only the relative temperature
value is accurate. The temperature coefficient is about 100 LSB/℃

Are you reading regs 0x07 & 0x08? Are they both reading 0?

I did not say that the QMC5883L's in-built temperature sensor can't be used. I meant that it's not convenient and may not be always accurate. For example,  in one of my projects I had a Barometric Pressure Sensor BMP-180. It could output Pressure and temperature, both. Still, I had to add a separate temperature and humidity sensor to my project. I noticed a significant difference between the temperature readings of  BMP-180 and the other sensor. The BMP-180's reading was nowhere close to the real one. Later, I came of know that BMP-180 was not dependable for temperature readings.  Anyway, if anybody has  succeeded in getting the correct temperature value from QMC5883L, I'd love to know the method too.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 09:55:51 am by rooppoorali »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf