Electronics > Microcontrollers

Raspberry pi looks like a pretty good contendor against arduino

<< < (24/26) > >>

elliot42:

--- Quote from: ndictu on July 02, 2012, 04:41:30 pm ---I might try that next, I've used some old OpenELEC builds when I received mine and it was extremely slow while in the menus, playback itself was OK. I don't plan to use it as a serious media center but only as a small and simple player that I can put behind TV and remotely start a movie on it.

BTW, anyone using some remote control receiver?

--- End quote ---

I've also tried OpenELEC and found the menus much more responsive with the CPU overclocked to 900MHz. I also clocked the RAM to 450MHz but it was unstable when I tried it at 500MHz. I still get freezes/crashes sometimes when using the menus or scanning for media. Video playback has been fine, I've watched a few full movies and haven't had problems while watching them.

gtsili:
Hi guys,

I have tried Raspbmc (see attached photo), that has a very smooth and easy automated installation. The menus where not that slow but the playback on high definition was very choppy and I did manage to crash it while playing a video. Under the hood Raspbmc is a very minimalistic Debian so you can ssh and tinker with thinks from the console (I did a proper nfs4 mount because I do not like the way xbmc does that). I was thinking of trying OpenELEC too. I do not like this overclocking business, Raspbmc also overclocks the CPU at 800MHz but the chips are quite hot already. I have not connected any remote control receivers yet but there are several options (either a usb one or something using the GPIO) but the one I prefer is the CEC solution. Raspbmc does not use libCEC from what little I have read. One more think I forgot to mention is that omxplayer does not need X-windows to display the movie, so memory-wise and performance-wise it will be the clear winner. I am sure that with a little bit of effort I can put together a simple ncurses program that just browses around a predefined path and uses omxplayer to play the selected movie. What the heck, you can even set up midnight commander to do that.

--- Quote from: ndictu on July 02, 2012, 04:41:30 pm ---I might try that next, I've used some old OpenELEC builds when I received mine and it was extremely slow while in the menus, playback itself was OK. I don't plan to use it as a serious media center but only as a small and simple player that I can put behind TV and remotely start a movie on it.

BTW, anyone using some remote control receiver?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: elliot42 on July 03, 2012, 12:38:56 am ---I've also tried OpenELEC and found the menus much more responsive with the CPU overclocked to 900MHz. I also clocked the RAM to 450MHz but it was unstable when I tried it at 500MHz. I still get freezes/crashes sometimes when using the menus or scanning for media. Video playback has been fine, I've watched a few full movies and haven't had problems while watching them.

--- End quote ---

T4P:
Throw a heatsink onto it. It will help in the long run

gtsili:
I was thinking the same Dave however, both chips are a very small die with headers and jacks around them. So I need to search around for something suitably small and low profile as well as a good thermal conductive adhesive.

--- Quote from: DaveXRQ on July 03, 2012, 07:09:31 am ---Throw a heatsink onto it. It will help in the long run

--- End quote ---

T4P:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/aluminum-cooler-heat-sink-chipset-for-ram-memory-w-type-8-piece-set-35816
Or this one if it fits:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-southbridge-heat-sink-chipset-cooler-48616

I'm aware of the size of the broadcom chip it's pretty small

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version