Electronics > Microcontrollers

Raspberry pi looks like a pretty good contendor against arduino

<< < (25/26) > >>

elliot42:
I haven't yet noticed any heat issues with mine. The highest I've measured the CPU at is 42 degrees Celsius (surface temperature).

gtsili:
Thanks Dave, those are great!

I suppose it depends on your ambient temperature (quite hot in Greece at the moment), the load on the CPU/GPU as well as what features of the board you are using. Add to that, a bit of overclocking and encase the board on a box with low ventilation and you have a possible problem. I have not measured the actual temperature but after an hour of playing around with it, the chips were bearably comfortable to the touch, so as a rule of thumb around 50 C. I am attaching a picture taken with a thermal camera with the board under full load playing high definition video and using the ethernet. More images and info at: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/675/what-are-the-maximum-operating-temperatures-of-the-components

--- Quote from: elliot42 on July 04, 2012, 12:54:51 am ---I haven't yet noticed any heat issues with mine. The highest I've measured the CPU at is 42 degrees Celsius (surface temperature).

--- End quote ---

ndictu:
I'm probably going to make an enclosure for it and put a big PC fan at low speed to get some airflow, and maybe mount some heatsinks on it (although I don't really want to put on any adhesive, so maybe some clip-on heatsinks with just thermal compound). I need to get a proper thermometer gun but the chip and SD card gets quite warm.

I've tried an ear thermometer but it only said 45+, a sad face and started beeping like crazy because it thought I'm going to die in the next few seconds :)

elliot42:
gtsili: Interesting photo, thanks. Ambient temperature here isn't very high at the moment when I'm running it, 20C max. I don't have a fancy thermal imaging camera, just a cheap IR thermometer, but I'll keep an eye on the temperature when I'm next playing with the Pi.

T4P:
The ambient temperature around here is always like 36 or something else when it's not raining
Things can get crazy here... The high ambient temperature claimed my old HP laptop many times
my 858D once
basically fried many things due to the HAT,
i mean like, where the hell have they been developing them? OHWAIT ... China

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version