Author Topic: Recommended books to learn about embedded?  (Read 6045 times)

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
Re: Recommended books to learn about embedded?
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2022, 07:54:55 pm »
Despite people writing Arduino off as a toy, I'd answer the original question by suggesting a book that will take you quite a way beyond the basics:
https://www.elektor.com/freertos-for-esp32-arduino-e-book
You will find that you can do quite sophisticated multitasking using the combination of Arduino and Freertos, given a moderately powerful processor.
One thing Arduino has going for it is plenty of libraries for driving displays, sensors and so on, and there's no point reinventing wheels.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 07:56:52 pm by ralphrmartin »

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2022, 08:27:11 pm »
Three reasons for reinventing the wheel:
  • Learning about embedded (which is the subject of this thread)
  • Implementing it better/correct (power requirements, DMA needs etc)
  • Providing abstractions that are insufficient for your needs (maybe you need it to accept network endianness, or maybe play nice with FreeRTOS whatever)

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2022, 08:41:29 pm »
Oh, OP you may want to check these reviews by Jack Ganssle who is a known name in embedded: http://www.ganssle.com/bkreviews.htm, he has also written a few books: http://www.ganssle.com/book.htm

I will warn you about premature optimization though. The older books tend to go on and on about them.
Compilers are amazing these days, and if you're using C++ they are all zero cost (except virtual methods [runtime speed] and exceptions [memory/stack]). If you find you need to optimize, try a few compiler flags before rewriting for loops from postfix to prefix in-/decrements.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2022, 09:09:34 pm »
SAM C21 development board (just for writing code) that, ...wait for it..., has Arduino headers:

https://nl.farnell.com/microchip/atsamc21-xpro/evaluation-board-xplained-pro/dp/2492013

I didn't check stock, heck, I can't even read the page!

There's a bunch in stock at Mouser:

https://www.mouser.com/c/?marcom=187817120

Development boards can be worth their weight in gold (when the price of gold is depressed).

Yes, I have 2, right pain in the ass to work with those 2 row headers. Of course they have an arduino footprint, Arduino is cool, it's what everyone wants so marketing put it in the specs. It also means that you can use arduino shields with it which, ahem, ahem, takes you away from that arduino rubbish and into the land of the living!

Is there an arduino board file for it? will it work with the IDE?

Oh and don't forget "internet of things"

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2022, 09:12:52 pm »

One thing Arduino has going for it is plenty of libraries for driving displays, sensors and so on, and there's no point reinventing wheels.

that is the only reason I have ever willingly used it. I would use it to make a quick jig in the lab but nothing more. It's the reason anyone uses it. Well now I have my own display "library" and it runs faster with less risk of issues.

As for libraries, out demo/prototype showed a load of garbage on the screen the other day, no idea why but then i am sure those libraries don't come with a warranty

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2022, 09:14:53 pm »
One day when I have the time I may look at rtos, just don't have the time now.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2022, 12:56:18 am »
The toolchain supports the chip, one could add a custom board file. Name it like SimonHatesArduino, then be sure to use one of my many unmaintained libraries: https://playground.arduino.cc/Profiles/AlphaBeta/#PlaygroundContributions to get the ultimate crappy experience, I mean ;)

In fact, several of my libraries would probably qualify as things one should not touch. I wrote them for teaching fellow students how to program hardware. I barely knew how myself...  :-DD

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2022, 02:35:46 am »
SAM C21 development board (just for writing code) that, ...wait for it..., has Arduino headers:
[...]
Development boards can be worth their weight in gold (when the price of gold is depressed).

Isn't an Arduino (or compatible) simply a development board once you realize that you're not required to used the IDE or any specific library?

Yes, I have 2, right pain in the ass to work with those 2 row headers.

Poor Simon. It must be very difficult to be you.
90% of quoted statistics are fictional

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2022, 03:43:09 am »
[...]

Isn't an Arduino (or compatible) simply a development board once you realize that you're not required to used the IDE or any specific library?

Yes it is!  In fact, there is every good reason to buy the DIP version of the Arduino (as opposed to the SMD version) and use the Arduino board to program the device before it is installed in some other board.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2022, 08:07:50 am »

Yes it is!  In fact, there is every good reason to buy the DIP version of the Arduino (as opposed to the SMD version) and use the Arduino board to program the device before it is installed in some other board.
[/quote]

Been there done that. Then used the AVRISP

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2022, 08:10:41 am »

Yes, I have 2, right pain in the ass to work with those 2 row headers.

Poor Simon. It must be very difficult to be you.
[/quote]

It's doable it's "OK" but what happened to those good old lab things with a breadboard?

All you can do with those pins is put a ribbon cable on it, you can't even plug that board into another without making it hard work. But I gladly bought 2 as they are a good controlled environment to develop basic code on. My current project has an LCD on it so now I can just send messages to the screen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf