Author Topic: Reflashing firmware in st-link (STM32F103CBT6) in Nucleo board ?  (Read 3064 times)

Offline laurentzTopic starter

Reflashing firmware in st-link (STM32F103CBT6) in Nucleo board ?
« on: November 07, 2019, 12:23:15 pm »
Hello, my Nucleo-F446RE board just went dead this morning (USB device not recognized anymore).
I only get 4 slow red flashes, then nothing. Device manager in Windows 10 says it cannot get the USB descriptor.

Is it possible to re-flash the ST-Link part (STM32F103CBT6 it seems) to get back the original béhavioral (at least to be able to use the ST-Link upgrader STWS-link007) ?
If so, where to find the binary and how to proceed: I suppose I'll need an external ST-link or Serial programmer and connect to some pins on the board ?

Any hope ?

Best regards,
Laurent

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Reflashing firmware in st-link (STM32F103CBT6) in Nucleo board ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 06:06:29 pm »
It has been a long time since I did this, but I remember it is possible.  The procedure may be different for different boards.  On mine I needed to change some of the solder jumpers to provide access to the JTAG SWD lines on the ST-Link processor, then use a second dev kit (or something like a J-link) to re-program the part via SWD.  I don't know where to find the ST-Link firmware image but I imagine it is available.  I was flashing the Black Magic Probe firmware on mine.  Maybe google for that to see some examples of the procedure?

Offline GromBeestje

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 06:35:06 pm »
You can flash the bootloader, available at https://github.com/Krakenw/Stlink-Bootloaders (be sure to take the correct version v2.0 vs v2.1) via SWD.
Then use the official STLINK upgrade tool to reflash the actual firmware.

Offline emece67

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 07:43:14 pm »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 02:34:59 pm by emece67 »

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 09:43:46 pm »
Thanks to all for giving me some hope :)

emece67
Could you explain a bit more which pins I should look after on F446RE board ? I've a spare ST-Link V2 (clone unfortunately) that I could use to reflash the board but I can't figure out where to connect it |O

Offline GromBeestje

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:03:25 pm by GromBeestje »

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 11:07:08 pm »
Amazing, probably the board was scared by reading the instructions to reflash it, I started testing the continuity of the SWD signals from the connector, and it suddenly is working again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf