Electronics > Microcontrollers

RIP Z80

<< < (21/23) > >>

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: bson on June 16, 2024, 08:02:21 pm ---
--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on June 14, 2024, 11:51:59 pm ---Frankly, I still don't see much point, if you want to do that, compared to a soft core on a small FPGA.

--- End quote ---
It's just for fun, to remind myself of the bus timings, etc.  Any CMOS SMT version would work just as well.  I don't have any actual use for it.

--- End quote ---

Then you shouldn't have any problem buying a bunch of real Z80's, which can still be bought from various places. And the Z180, again, which is in stock at Digikey.

You probably misunderstood my point: I didn't say there was no point in working with real hardware, if you're interested in that.
I just said that for this, actual parts are still available, so what I don't see is the point of going as far as designing brand new silicon for that. Doesn't make sense.

Just buy a couple Z80s (probably on Ali or eBay), or Z180s (Digikey, I think Mouser has some as well), and start hacking away!

bson:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on June 16, 2024, 08:46:56 pm ---Then you shouldn't have any problem buying a bunch of real Z80's, which can still be bought from various places. And the Z180, again, which is in stock at Digikey.

--- End quote ---
This is true, but being part of a community effort still tickles something positively, psychologically speaking, that a commercial part can't.  Since it's purely for fun this is a non-negligible aspect.

RoGeorge:
Many microcontrollers today can emulate a Z80 almost flawless.  Only a few days ago I've seen an entire Sinclair ZX Spectrum home computer emulated with an ESP32:  https://hackaday.com/2024/06/16/esp32-powers-single-pcb-zx-spectrum-emulator/

Sal Ammoniac:
Digi International makes a series of MCUs called the Rabbit which include a Z80 clone.

https://www.digi.com/products/embedded-systems/digi-connectcore/system-on-modules/rcm3000

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: bson on June 18, 2024, 05:38:05 pm ---
--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on June 16, 2024, 08:46:56 pm ---Then you shouldn't have any problem buying a bunch of real Z80's, which can still be bought from various places. And the Z180, again, which is in stock at Digikey.

--- End quote ---
This is true, but being part of a community effort still tickles something positively, psychologically speaking, that a commercial part can't.  Since it's purely for fun this is a non-negligible aspect.

--- End quote ---

Well, certainly, I was speaking from a purely pragmatic POV, but if people want to design a brand new Z80 on silicon, I'm nobody to say they shouldn't!

But since this all has a significant cost, I think it's in their best interest to make sure they know all their options before investing time and money in that. Also a bit wary of the "hype" effect triggered by the EOL announcement, that may fade off in a few months from now, before the project actually gets completed. We'll see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version