Author Topic: RS-485 Synchronous Mode ( CLK + DATA )  (Read 5728 times)

Offline ag123

• Contributor
Re: RS-485 Synchronous Mode ( CLK + DATA )
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2023, 07:05:44 am »
think clk is normally not 'bundled' in RS485 implementations and that clk & 'synchronous' is probably some "propriety" phy and protocols.
as i didn't work much with RS485, hence, I'd leave it at that.
for 'simple' implementations, i'd just use a uart to interface it.

async 'clock recovery' is 'difficult' and hence I'd guess the designers just made it 'synchronous' by putting a clk line, but that clk on its own can also be noisy or be slew limited (long lines practically work like rlc filters) and possibly limit the distance/length possible.

I think differential signalling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_signalling
works like flipping the battery between the +/- signals forward and reverse literally. Hence, it is possibly 'easier' to use a transceiver e.g. rs485 / rs422 to translate the signals back to the 'normal' 0 and 1 signals.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 07:21:04 am by ag123 »

The following users thanked this post: pacioc193

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2023, 07:29:22 am »
Read what the OP wrote: the systems don't share a common ground. In such cases it is better to use AC coupling and not rely on wether the ground is connected somewhere or not. IIRC ISDN2 is an example which uses HDLC over AC coupled links.

Again: it would be wise for the OP to investigate whether the links are AC coupled or not or that there are other measures to deal with ground offsets (which can include using transceivers with increased common mode ranges).

Isolated transceivers solve the lack of ground maybe?
https://www.ti.com/isolation/isolated-interfaces/rs-485-transceivers/overview.html

Offline pacioc193Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2023, 10:14:33 am »
Read what the OP wrote: the systems don't share a common ground. In such cases it is better to use AC coupling and not rely on wether the ground is connected somewhere or not. IIRC ISDN2 is an example which uses HDLC over AC coupled links.

Again: it would be wise for the OP to investigate whether the links are AC coupled or not or that there are other measures to deal with ground offsets (which can include using transceivers with increased common mode ranges).

Isolated transceivers solve the lack of ground maybe?
https://www.ti.com/isolation/isolated-interfaces/rs-485-transceivers/overview.html

Yes, as already suggested by PCB.Wiz the solution could be to use a isolated transceivers.
I will test and let you know.

Offline harerod

• Frequent Contributor
  • ee - digital & analog
    • My services:
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2023, 02:51:28 pm »
Keyword: SSI - Synchronous Serial Interface

This is an industry standard for encoder communication. My first implementations have been on FPGA's. About ten years ago I switched to STM32 - e.g. https://www.harerod.de/applications_eng.html#SSI_USB
A STM32F405 will handle 2MHz in slave mode (sensor emulation) without any sweat. In master mode the transceiver chips limit clock to 10MHz on that board.

Another limitation, for which exist partial software remedies, is the reduced lightspeed in cables. For CAT5 that would be about two thirds of the speed of light in vacuum.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2023, 03:06:17 pm »
Keyword: SSI - Synchronous Serial Interface

This is an industry standard for encoder communication. My first implementations have been on FPGA's. About ten years ago I switched to STM32 - e.g. https://www.harerod.de/applications_eng.html#SSI_USB
A STM32F405 will handle 2MHz in slave mode (sensor emulation) without any sweat. In master mode the transceiver chips limit clock to 10MHz on that board.

Another limitation, for which exist partial software remedies, is the reduced lightspeed in cables. For CAT5 that would be about two thirds of the speed of light in vacuum.

I worked with this MCU but the SSI is a fake communication... it use a USART communication adding a clock on the right byte. It is 8bit aligned and for each data that i write on the bus, a lot of time is lost due a empty time spend to generate signal of start bit, parity bit, stop bit ecc ecc

I preferred to bit bang it....

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2023, 07:00:05 pm »
Test continue and the project is not yet finished….
I’ve tested with isolated converter and communication seems works but not in the correct ways…
Is there any equipment to check the isolated 485 signal without transceiver it to ttl?
Like oscilloscope or logic analyzer . Is impossible for me to get the ground from the destination cpu… I’ve already tested to use the ground from power supply but the signal is not present into a classic clone logic analyzer.
Any tips?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2023, 09:54:39 am »
Finally i understood the problem...

Protocol is HDLC that force a bit stuffing when a more than 5 bit are "1" consecutively.

The byte 0x5F ->  0101 1111 will be translate to  0 1001 1111 (0x09F) to avoid the flag 0x7E misinterpreted.

My board then is working well... I need just to correct the reading from my custom mcu in order to implement this behaviour.

The following users thanked this post: PCB.Wiz

Offline jjcrawford1990

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2024, 06:26:05 am »
Fascinating read. I had a similar problem having to find hardware to communicate with an RS485 Synchronous HDLC device in the railway, I searched for an off the shelf piece of equipment for a while before finding one. However the SDK was horribly complex and although I got it working, I’d love something simpler (comparatively)

If you would be willing to share any of the design, it’d be fascinating

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf