Author Topic: RT1052 compatibility with RT1062.  (Read 1117 times)

Offline luiHSTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
RT1052 compatibility with RT1062.
« on: August 15, 2022, 05:23:58 pm »

Hello
I'm doing software development with Teensy 4, to later make my own boards for the final product. The problem is that there is currently no RT1062 in stock from any vendor, and there are not likely to be until 2024.

Does anyone know if I could use the RT1052 to run programs made for the Teensy 4, or compile RT1062 sources for the RT1052?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: RT1052 compatibility with RT1062.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 06:05:02 pm »
From what I can tell, the RT105x and RT106x series are essentially the same, except that the latter has more RAM and more peripherals. If the amount of RAM and the available peripherals in the RT1052 fit your requirements, then it should be a matter of porting the build (to select the right target) and link (for the right linker script/startup code/etc) files to the RT1052 and rebuilding. They are even pin-compatible AFAIK if you use the same package.

Are you using the NXP SDK?

The following users thanked this post: luiHS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 06:18:55 pm »
From what I can tell, the RT105x and RT106x series are essentially the same, except that the latter has more RAM and more peripherals. If the amount of RAM and the available peripherals in the RT1052 fit your requirements, then it should be a matter of porting the build (to select the right target) and link (for the right linker script/startup code/etc) files to the RT1052 and rebuilding. They are even pin-compatible AFAIK if you use the same package.

The main problem is that for the developments I use Teensy 4, and it uses the Arduino environment with the Teensy libraries. Porting all of that to MCUXpresso seems complex.

If the only important difference is the amount of RAM, there should be no problem, my programs will never exceed those 512K of the RT1052. What I don't know is whether internally the memory addresses of the peripherals coincide in both or are very different.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 06:24:17 pm »

The main problem is that for the developments I use Teensy 4, and it uses the Arduino environment with the Teensy libraries. Porting all of that to MCUXpresso seems complex.

This is why I asked about the NXP SDK. The part about Arduino on those, I know nothing, but I strongly suggest asking the guy behind the Teensy boards, Paul Stoffregen.
You can try opening a ticket about that here: https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 06:40:12 pm »
This is why I asked about the NXP SDK. The part about Arduino on those, I know nothing, but I strongly suggest asking the guy behind the Teensy boards, Paul Stoffregen.
You can try opening a ticket about that here: https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores

Yes, I already asked in the Teensy forum, they answer me that initially the Teensy 4 boards were made for the RT1052, but that finally it was changed to the RT1062 and all support for the RT1052 was removed, it will not work.

In principle, the only thing that could cause problems is that the memory addresses of ports and peripherals are different. There is a file in the Arduino environment for Teensy that defines all these addresses, I can check and change them if needed.

Another problem could be the definition of the clock, PLL settings, multipliers and dividers. Although both being Cortex M7 at 600Mhz, I think they will be the same.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 06:41:53 pm by luiHS »

Offline mac.6

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 06:28:46 am »
Both use same chassis, but even with that you are not assured that it will be 100% compatible.
Have you tried a diff between both SDK header files and linker scripts?

BootROM is also different, if arduino use some rom provided API you will need to change the appropriate linker file.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 06:54:02 pm »
If Luis were using the NXP SDK, things would be much simpler for porting the project.

Since he's using the Arduino core, he'll need to modify the core support files himself - apparently the author doesn't want to/isn't interested in doing that at the moment. The whole source code is there: https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores/tree/master/teensy4

The author is not using any part of the official SDK for his Arduino core as far as I can tell, so his project is self-contained, but that will require quite a bit of work to make sure the port is complete.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 12:35:49 am »

Years ago I was studying the possibility of migrating native Teensy projects in Arduino to MCUXpresso, and it turned out to be quite complex, in the end I abandoned the idea.

I was just hoping this time that it might be easier to compile for RT1052 or even RT1064, a Teensy 4 (RT1062) project. I think the core is the same, there may even be more compatibility between RT1062 and RT1064 than between RT1052 and RT1062, but someone has already suggested the use of RT1064, in the Teensy forums and it doesn't seem easy, among other things because of how it is connected internally flash it on the RT1064.

If between RT1062 and RT1064 only the starting address of the program in flash varies, I think that can be modified in the Linker Script file, I'll try it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf