Author Topic: S32K1 CAN peripheral driver + J1939 CAN Stack  (Read 1051 times)

Offline rvalenteTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
S32K1 CAN peripheral driver + J1939 CAN Stack
« on: December 16, 2020, 02:14:22 pm »
Hello Mates,

would you suggest me a CAN driver for the S32K and a J1939 CAN stack?

I've got a quote from Simma Software, the cost is around USD 11K, I'd like to look for other options

Greetings

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
Re: S32K1 CAN peripheral driver + J1939 CAN Stack
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 02:42:47 pm »
Doesn seem too expensive.. what's wrong with it?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 04:50:43 pm »
Agreed, would not seem expensive if the USB x BRL exchange rate was lower, its R$5.13 now, them it gets expensive.
Them I just looking for alternatives

Offline jnz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 12:15:24 am »
I can pretty much warn you against Simma Software.

It's two guys Jake and Patrick iirc. I'm not saying the software doesn't do what it is supposed to, but from experience their CAN drivers are extremely basic. You can do it yourself, or at least someone on UpWork could do it in at worst 1/10th the cost ($5k for a CAN driver iirc). There is nothing special, no complex buffering, or retries or detecting errors beyond the most basic. It's written "cleanly" enough, but very very generic. Not at all worth the money. They're tell you that you need their CAN driver to use their other layers, that's bullshit. Their CAN driver just takes in a pointer and dlc, and etc, their other layers are designed to just call send and receive functions, and use them, but not even in a clever pointer to a function way like networkTransport.send(), but generic can_transmit() and you just make sure you have that function.

As to the higher level stuff like J1939. I'm 10000% certain you can look on Github and find something just as good. I was looking to them for some SAE-J specs and ended up learning a lot more writing my own than paying them an ungodly amount.

Nothing I've seen from them is complex enough to warrant the cost. It all works, but they go no extra steps. You'll find no smart configurations, or memory management, no RTOS hooks, just plain jane code. Seriously go find a Pakistani or Indian group on Upwork, they'll ask for $20/hr and give you something they basically already wrote. You'll then probably get something you actually want. Or get the SAE papers and write it yourself and really know what it's doing.

The following users thanked this post: rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 02:17:35 pm »
Hello JNZ, tks by your reply.

I've pmed you

Have you ever used https://www.elektrobit.com/ products? Guys from NXP advised me about them

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf