Author Topic: Setting up older Lattice isp Programer  (Read 960 times)

Offline TimTTopic starter

Setting up older Lattice isp Programer
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:04:18 am »
Hi Everyone

I am in need of some help setting up a Lattice isp parallel port programmer. I am trying to program a older IspLsi1024 chip. I am using a usb to parallel port adapter with the programmer and this setup is not working. ISPvm does not recognize the programmer, I am getting 2 new devices with this plugged in under universal serial bus controllers. usb printing support and no printer attached.

I have been " playing around with the drivers " Trying the drivers with ispLeaver but no luck! any help would be appreciated.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Setting up older Lattice isp Programer
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:59:07 am »
USB to parallel adapters are intended for printers only, and may have support for some parallel scanners also.
In general they do not support other devices.

Offline TimTTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 03:19:15 am »
Ah yes, Thank you! :-+ I should have thought about that. Looks like a PCI Parallel Adapter Card that supports EPP / ECP / SPP might do the trick. Hopefully I am not wrong about that assumption.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:58:58 pm »
I bought a new PC a couple of years ago that does not have a printer port.  I have the same programmer you have and several others. 

You have PCI which you may have better luck with.  I have PCIe slots.  I tried a few cards and found one (PN#  SD-PEX1005) that even works with DOS. 

They document how to make a loopback test connector for the board and have some diagnostics you can use to test it. 

I could not get DOSbox or VirtualBox to work in all cases.  This PC has an internal USB port.  I just stuck a FLASH drive into it and when I want to run older software, I just boot this drive.  Beats keeping an old PC around just to program some older parts now and then. 

The only problem I ran into (so far) was I have an old programmer that only supported the 378, 278 and 3bc standard addresses.  It was simple enough to locate where these were stored in the binary image and change it.   You will need to check your Lattice tools to make sure they are not hard coded. 

Again, PCI may offer a better solution. 

Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/SD-PEX10005-PCI-Express-Parallel-MCS9900-Chipset/dp/B003D3MFHC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf