Poll

Should we categorise the MCU section ?

38 (48.7%)
40 (51.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: May 04, 2014, 04:39:30 pm

Author Topic: Should we categorise the MCU section ?  (Read 21348 times)

Offline Crazy Ape

• Regular Contributor
Re: Should we categorise the MCU section ?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 08:28:29 pm »
MCU/FPGA subs makes some sense.

Until you bring up the ZPU, not sure where that would fit best. On top of the ZPU you can run ZPUino, where would it go?

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 08:34:57 pm »
We don't have to categorise too much and there would remain a general category, what I'm thinking is making dedicated places for things like pic, avr and msp430 that have hundreds of parts in their ranks and potentially if we looked like we are taking mcu discussion seriously we would get more discussions on them and more people over to the forum talking about them and more means most like more skilled people able to help with specific mcu's.

Sure we don't get much talk at the moment, I wonder why.... like i said I don't bother to post in it as i gewt the feel it's so generic I won't get an answer or a quick one.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 01:48:53 am »
...don't have to categorise too much and there would remain a general category, what I'm thinking is making dedicated places for things like pic, avr and msp430 that have hundreds of parts in their ranks ....
That's the way I'd go - to separate completely unrelated topics that are out of context in each others sandbox.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline spudboy488

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 11:46:05 am »
I'm new to the party but one way to do it is to prefix the subject title with the category/family/etc. For example, a new subject can be:

[PIC] I'm having trouble with the UART

or

[AVR] Programming issue

As someone else mentioned, there's not enough traffic to separate but having a "gentleman's agreement" on how to create a new thread would make it a bit easier for those interested in PICS to find the relative entries. If there is no subject prefix, it is a general interest MCU item.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:48:16 am by spudboy488 »

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 12:02:27 pm »
not everyone would honor that. I know traffic is low, I am one of those that does not use the section as I get the impression not many people may be knowledgeable of my MCU. My idea was that by making it a bit more serious and having some of the major brands categorized would help people feel like using the MCU section more.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 12:58:59 pm »
I for diviving the section. My ideas would be: AVR, PIC, ARM, MSP430, others mcu, programmable logic.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 07:29:29 pm »
What are you on about ? I've hardly posted in the section at all. And compartmentalizing the various MCU families will help prevent this won't it ? your just arguing my point.

why you getting angry im not the admin dude, lol gizzz.

Do you speak English, everything you say is totally nonsensical give us a clue?

(OT: was that a scene from pulp fiction or something?)

;)

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 03:37:57 am »
I'm not sure why you left it up to a vote... It makes sense, nothing is lost, people with answers on a specific arch have a new place to hang, and people with questions on a specific arch have an easier time looking at already answered stuff.

Don't let the hens run the henhouse.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 06:37:50 am »

Don't let the hens run the henhouse.

well i was told to put it to the masses by Dave, then I have other forum members telling me I'm using my moderator powers to push an agenda............ no helping some people.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 07:11:48 am »
Simon, the only privilege of any admin, that you are bent over both ways. good to have the poll, even if some are unhappy, it brings both pro and con arguments out. Some are even interesting. Some might even be right.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 07:14:47 am »
I have no problem with the poll, but resent people telling me that I'm an overbearing moderator and that I'm pushing my agenda just because i asked a question like any other user could have. And yes I have the power to make it a sticky myself but had someone else posted a similar question I would have made it a sticky anyway. At some point I'll probably remove the sticky and let it sink.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 07:19:28 am »
Not overbearing, I do see very few of your edits, mostly to make nice.

Carry on asking questions, it teaches everybody. Different points of view are always useful.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 07:22:16 am »
Not overbearing, I do see very few of your edits, mostly to make nice.

Indeed most of what we do as moderators is removing spam or removing openly offensive posts that there would be no argument about, we avoid editing a post if possible but rather than remove a post that is a little contentious it is preferable to just remove any offending sections and in that case we make it clear what is being done and why  and that we are acting with moderator hats on.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2014, 07:23:40 am »
It's been a useful poll, unlike most polls that get created! Even if nothing comes of it, it was a valid question to ask.
Ignore the nay sayers, I know I do  ;)

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2014, 07:31:04 am »
yes although I'm surprised at some of the answers although having seen some of the views about moderators it would seem that even on a lightly moderated forum like this people still hate the establishment because that's just the way they are so trying to make an improvement would be an ideal time for them to have a go and feel good about it. I think responses may have been slightly different if a user had asked the question. There is democracy and there is "me!, me!, me!, me!, me!, me!......"

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2014, 08:41:41 am »
yes although I'm surprised at some of the answers although having seen some of the views about moderators it would seem that even on a lightly moderated forum like this people still hate the establishment because that's just the way they are so trying to make an improvement would be an ideal time for them to have a go and feel good about it. I think responses may have been slightly different if a user had asked the question. There is democracy and there is "me!, me!, me!, me!, me!, me!......"

I don't think it would have matter if it was a user. Lines on MCUs, FPGAs, ARM, SoC, etc.. are getting blurrier, you can get any combination of those. Also I wouldn't have known about the Cypress chips (with programmable logic) even if they are ARM Cortex-M0 if we didn't have this section as one. This sub forum is one of the ones with less traffic, therefore it got my down vote.

Also we are missing a processor sub-forum, I mean, where does the 68000 belong to? It's still been used for many real time applications but it has no representation. There are also a bunch of ARM SoC that are going 64 bit where do they belong to? I mean they are embedded systems that keep adding complexity and more features and still battery powered. Not easy lines to divide.

One thing though, maybe the friction you feel is because of your choice of words. For example saying "this people" on your post above.

No matter what I truly appreciate the job you guys do. I know it's hard to do and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:47 am »
I know there are more complex ramifications but i was hoping to help beginners like myself have a place to start, instead they come to this section and see a sea of chips and no classification, if we had the basics categorised like AVR, PIC, MSP430 and others I probably don't know about we would have a better starting point. sure there will be room for general discussion on mixed and advanced types but if i wanted to read through what is being asked and answered now about AVR or PIC I can't without a lot of work, so I'm not going to go looking for people to help and i'm not sure there are people hanging out here who can help me with my problems. once we start to make order we would probably see other topics stand out as needing a place of their own like your processors, we could have a section discussing processors generically after all like you say they differ from MCU's but having a category for every last one would be pointless.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 01:13:22 pm »
Maybe we can just get rid of the apostrophe finally and "FPGA's" will become "FPGAs" :)
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2014, 02:30:57 pm »
+1 for proper apostrophe usage

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2014, 02:34:49 pm »
The start a new poll ;)

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2014, 02:53:51 pm »
No need for a poll. That apostrophe is wrong.  :)

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2014, 01:07:58 am »
So do we need to keep this as a sticky?  It just seems to be taking up room at the top of the list for a topic that seems to be settled (or is everyone just taking a break for a while?)

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2014, 11:47:36 am »
Why are you concerned ? apparently no one uses this section of the forum so who gives a rats ass what it looks like, infact of the thousands of members registered not even 100 have answered. Last time i asked a question it took 2 days to get an answer. We might as well delete the whole forum judging by most peoples responses.......

Offline Harvs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2014, 01:13:55 pm »
Why are you concerned ?

Because on my Android phone with tapatalk only 4 items show up on the page at a time.

apparently no one uses this section of the forum so who gives a rats ass what it looks like, infact of the thousands of members registered not even 100 have answered. Last time i asked a question it took 2 days to get an answer. We might as well delete the whole forum judging by most peoples responses.......

Well I guess that's one way of looking at it.  I guess if I took that view with my open source projects posted on this forum and separate websites I probably should just stop now and delete them all from the internet.  Really it happens all the time that I'll post something complete that I've worked on, sometimes I get nothing back, sometimes a brief comment or three and once on this forum I've had a quite outrageous personal attack when I posted a solid design.

But that's just the internet...

edit:

That actually sounded a bit rough and was not my intent.  I personally really do appreciate the work you guys do, which as far as I know is for no financial gain.

I saw this come up at the time, and didn't respond other than to vote, because I personally had no strong opinion either way.  That, and to be perfectly honest, pretty much anything you post on this forum will end up with someone bored deciding the want to take exception to it.  So I don't post of a lot of things because I simply can't be bothered with an argument.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:39:35 pm by Harvs »

Offline clarkzh

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 07:41:06 am »
I do agree that we categorise this section base on the brand of MCU

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf