Author Topic: Socket pin header on Nucleo-144 "Morpho" connector?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline gjvdheidenTopic starter

• Contributor
Socket pin header on Nucleo-144 "Morpho" connector?
« on: March 24, 2023, 08:21:17 am »
I've bought a ST Nucleo-144 (Nucleo-F412ZG) board. The goal is to play with FSMC on a 16 bit parallel tft I've laying around for a long time. I also want to try out LTDC, as a next step. LTDC uses FSMC also, but for the RAM chip. Also nice.

I'm drawing a little pcb, so I don't have to fiddle with all those wires, you know, trying to see if it is the loose wiring or the code. 

In an attempt to support Arduino or something, there's a limited standard pin header socket connector. Off course, by nature laws, not all pins I need are in this limited connector. I don't use Arduino, I use STM32 Cube IDE. I also like MBed os. So those Arduino pin names / mappings are not helping to say the least.

My idea was to solder a header socket on the Nucleo board (CN1 and CN2) and snip off the long legs under the board. No doubt that will work, but any of you work with that board and how you practically work with that connector?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Socket pin header on Nucleo-144 "Morpho" connector?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 01:58:10 pm »
What exactly is unclear?

CN1 and CN2 are footprints for standard through-hole dual-row 0.1” headers. You can populate them with whatever you like: female, male, on the top, on the bottom, stackable…

Are you talking about snipping off the legs of C7-C10?

If you don’t want to modify the Nucleo board, you could of course just design your board so it goes underneath, and either connect to C7-C10 as well, or don’t, and just don’t put anything in the way. Then you’d just use headers to stack your board underneath.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 08:33:28 pm »
I don't know what the question is either. :-//
The pin-out of the connectors is documented in the user's guide. You don't even need to know or bother that it is supposed to be compatible with anything if you are designing your own PCB?

Offline gjvdheidenTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 10:38:08 am »
Yeah, my question is a bit unclear, sorry about that. The board comes with female sockets with the pins sticking out of the bottom, but they'll just going to bend. Sniped those off. Made a little "hat" like those Arduino shields, just like you mentioned tooki, but on the top. The hat or shield or adapter has a connector for a rotary and tft. That's just Potato tomato-w, if you're not using there board.

I was just looking for someone who actually uses one of there boards (or similar) and how you practically use them. I just soldered 2 pin sockets  (2x36) on the board. Removed the "feets" which are just pin headers and used some stand offs.

Just looking for someone who might figured out or found something more fancy or flexible. But this will do just fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf