Electronics > Microcontrollers

SPI to CAN bus mcu?

<< < (3/3)

fchk:

--- Quote from: JPortici on September 29, 2021, 11:03:18 am ---I would not recommend that part for beginners in microcontrollers and can controllers. That can controller require more effort than usual to set up and to interface with.. I'd rather suggest one of the older dsPICs (33EV which is 5V, or 33EP MU series which has also USB) or the PIC18F K83 series, or the PIC32MX 530 series since they all use an older, simpler peripheral (same as the MCP2515)... which is more or less the same across all devices so it's easier to port the code

--- End quote ---

Maybe. Problem is availability. My suggestions are actually buyable, and that's what counts when you start a project in these days.

fchk

JPortici:
Meh, stopped worrying about that for now. Our numbers mean that we can actually find stuff from distributors (every few days a reel or two of parts appear, we buy what we need plus some to set aside for the following order n months from now)
Then there's the fact that what you propose could already be gone by the time he decides to use it, though we are not seeing that recently (it used to be that we had to instant buy, components would disappear in an hour or less)
Availability is also not a problem for single, small quantity hobby project (which from what i understand is the case here)

Bonus: microchip IS less affected than other manufacturers, one of the perks of having their own fabs. Prototype quantities ("samples") are still available AFAIK and their lead times have already started shortening

IDEngineer:

--- Quote from: fchk on September 29, 2021, 11:37:51 am ---Maybe. Problem is availability. My suggestions are actually buyable, and that's what counts when you start a project in these days.
--- End quote ---
True, but a quick search at (just) DigiKey reveals 24 versions of the PIC18 family in stock that have throughhole packages and contain a CAN peripheral. They start at $2.41 in quantity one for a 28DIP package. Refinement of the search is left as an exercise for the OP, but the parts ARE out there in conveniently breadboardable packages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version