Author Topic: Starting with ARMs micros.  (Read 20727 times)

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Starting with ARMs micros.
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2012, 09:23:42 am »
What board would you suggest for a beginner? Having in mind GNU/Linux perhaps.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 01:12:22 pm »
The stm32f4-discovery has nice price/performance. Lots of peripherals on there for the money. I have two of those and really like them. The only drawback being that you'll need some patience to set up the toolchain under linux.

Offline jerry507

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2012, 04:54:00 pm »
I once visited a seminar with a bunch of seasoned embedded programmers. It turned out half of them used JTAG debuggers and the other half used a command line interpreter and a scope.

The caveat to any statement like this is that open source people rarely care what best practices are, they're stubborn enough to do things just their own way. Real change in the OOS community comes about when something new comes along and a bunch of new people enter the community, or when old people die off and take their ridiculousness with them.

I should try to get gcc and gdb working on that stellaris launchpad board when it arrives. I can't realistically justify charging a customer for that learning experience, so I have to do it at home :(

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2012, 06:04:23 pm »
The advantage of that is that gcc+gdb works on a very wide variety of platforms so acquiring that knowledge is sure to serve you in the future :-)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:08:24 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ptricks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »
What board would you suggest for a beginner? Having in mind GNU/Linux perhaps.

Alexander.

I would steer beginners interested in doing small projects towards NXP based boards. The reason is that the NXP processors are better documented, have much more user friendly guides and a larger community of hobbyist. The software side is well supported in commercial and free compilers.

If you look here you can see lots of tools including things like RTOS.
http://www.lpcware.com/

The IDE they recommend is also free to use and works on linux and windows. No jtag is needed since the board comes with one and you can detach that part of the board and use that jtag with other devices.
About $19 USD to get started
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP/OM13014598/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujrwYJlp6DWmVh5iNpMY%252b%2fNHQbKmEiCLkVZqXX2XYgklQ%3d%3d

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2012, 02:51:09 pm »
Yes NXP seems to be a good choice.

Alexander
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf