Author Topic: STLink-V3-MiniE discovered  (Read 6553 times)

Offline KneidlTopic starter

STLink-V3-MiniE discovered
« on: March 30, 2022, 10:32:25 am »
Lately there appeared a STLink-V3-MiniE on Digikey,Mouser etc.
https://www.digikey.de/de/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/STLINK-V3MINIE/16284301
Does someone has more information about this new version and can tell us what the major differences compared to the regular mini will be?
Thanks

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: STLink-V3-MiniE discovered
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 12:40:57 pm »
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 06:22:37 pm by gamalot »

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 08:52:23 pm »
In the previous STlink V3 Mini thread, it was discussed that its not possible to reprogram the STM32F723 on the board to use as a cheap dev-board.
Assuming that will be the same case here.
Not enough IO are accessible anyway.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline KneidlTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 09:47:09 am »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 10:25:02 am »
Hmm I don't like it being naked... Even the cheapest plastic housing would do the job.
Great to damage it when handling, 0402 parts everywhere... Also the micro-usb sucks.

Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline lucazader

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 08:28:49 pm »
The model you have linked is not the V3MINIE.
The MINIE version mentioned here has _finally_ chaned to used USB-C
1481467-0

AFAIK that is either the MINI or the MODS

The mods in particular have been very useful at work. we previously had an adapter debug board that we would plug our ST-Link into to adapt it for or debug connectors on products.
We have now just spun up a version of the board that contains the footprint for the MODS all nicely in a single PCB with a 3d printed housing.

My only hope is that there will soon be a MODSE or simiar that uses a USB-C port

Online nimish

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 03:34:35 am »
It has a Type-C connector.

https://static.stmcu.com.cn/upload/pdf_html/a3bf42b3b8258b5dc881b86444df9847.html

Finally! USB 2.0 HS + DAPLink compatibility!

Now for NXP to release the MCU-Link Pro in USB-C (they make a bunch of type C interface stuff....but not on their debug kit from 2021!)

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 06:53:48 am »
Almost the same thing like NXP MCU-Link, but faster. With voltage translator to target and included VCP up to 15 Mbps for 10$. I really like this things.

Online nimish

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 04:52:22 pm »
Almost the same thing like NXP MCU-Link, but faster. With voltage translator to target and included VCP up to 15 Mbps for 10$. I really like this things.

I'm assuming they didn't lock it to ST devices only? It doesn't appear to have the debug pins broken out.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 10:41:05 pm »

I'm assuming they didn't lock it to ST devices only? It doesn't appear to have the debug pins broken out.

Answer for the V2: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/250664/can-i-use-st-link-programmer-for-non-st-chips
Someone with V3 can try?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline LogicalDave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 02:55:05 am »
I'm curious why folks are excited about the USB-C connector.  That seems like a liability to me (USB-C ports are in short supply on nearly all desktops and most laptops).  The MINIE doesn't even benefit from the higher power capabilities of USB-C since the MINIE doesn't power the target.

In general, ST added two much needed features to the V3 MINIE: support for lower power (mainly 1v8) targets and an integrated UART.

However they dropped the ball in three areas:
  • The failure to provide 0.100" pads.  I get that ST wants us to move to the STC14 connector, but virtually all developers have gobs of 0.100" (2.54mm) dupont jumper cables and 0.100" headers are pervasive on most targets; they are dirt cheap and much more robust than 0.050" pins.  At a minimum, ST should have spaced the B-B pads at the end of the MINIE at 2.54mm.  Fortunately, you can still mount a 2x5 0.100" pin header to the 2mm pads, it's just a little sloppy.
  • Failure to support powering the target from the dongle. So now, instead of two dongles (SWD and UART), we need one dongle (MINIE) and a power supply!!! That was not a good trade for portability and bench space.  There is plenty of power available from even old USB ports and 3v3 and 1v8 LDO regulators are dirt cheap.
  • The USB C connector seems undesirable (although clearly some folks feel differently and I'm interested in why).  Every laptop and desktop has gobs of USB 2.0 type A ports and these are more than fast enough for SWD debugging. Even most USB expansion dongles supply more USB type-A connectors than type C.  Requiring a USB type-C connection, particularly when not powering the target, seems to offer no real advantages.

ST, if you're listening, every STM32 developer wants 4 things from the debug dongle: SWD, UART, target power, and 0.100" pin headers.

Offline Dan N

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2023, 03:29:59 am »

• The failure to provide 0.100" pads.  I get that ST wants us to move to the STC14 connector, but virtually all developers have gobs of 0.100" (2.54mm) dupont jumper cables and 0.100" headers are pervasive on most targets; they are dirt cheap and much more robust than 0.050" pins.  At a minimum, ST should have spaced the B-B pads at the end of the MINIE at 2.54mm.  Fortunately, you can still mount a 2x5 0.100" pin header to the 2mm pads, it's just a little sloppy.
  • Failure to support powering the target from the dongle. So now, instead of two dongles (SWD and UART), we need one dongle (MINIE) and a power supply!!! That was not a good trade for portability and bench space.  There is plenty of power available from even old USB ports and 3v3 and 1v8 LDO regulators are dirt cheap.
  • The USB C connector seems undesirable (although clearly some folks feel differently and I'm interested in why).  Every laptop and desktop has gobs of USB 2.0 type A ports and these are more than fast enough for SWD debugging. Even most USB expansion dongles supply more USB type-A connectors than type C.  Requiring a USB type-C connection, particularly when not powering the target, seems to offer no real advantages.

I've been using the MiniE quite a bit the last month and liking it so far.  Getting it for $17 including a STM32C0 dev board makes imperfections easier to live with.

1.  I started using Tag-Connect and will probably never use headers again.  An official cable is pricy ($53 w shipping) but I made my own for $20 from a Tag-Connect to 6-pin RJ11 cable (those show up now and then on Ebay) and STC14 connector

2.  Agree a little on this one.  I use a USB-A to 2-pin header for 5V power.

3.  It's USB2.0 so using an A->C cable won't impact performance

Offline ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2023, 03:57:44 am »
I'm curious why folks are excited about the USB-C connector.  That seems like a liability to me (USB-C ports are in short supply on nearly all desktops and most laptops).
Moving away from micro-USB is great upgrade mechanical-wise. It's so fragile that I still cling on several old V2 mini-USB version for my daily debugger. You also don't need USB-C host to connect a USB-C device, so that shouldn't even be a problem right? :-//

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2023, 07:33:23 pm »
The USB C connector seems undesirable (although clearly some folks feel differently and I'm interested in why). 

I definitely prefer USB C wherever possible now, simply because it means fewer USB cables to keep on hand.  Makes traveling way easier: instead of having to tally up all the different kinds of USB cables I need to pack, I just have a couple USB C-C cables that will handle most things directly, and a small kit of C-to-whatever adapters that handle everything else.  My C-C cables even have A-to-C adapters attached by little tethers so they can be used with C or A host ports.  Works great.

Going forward, anything I design with a USB device port will get USB C only by default.  I'll sometimes do C and fullsize B footprints, since the former fits nicely inside the latter, for devices that would mostly stay plugged in all the time.  But can't see any reason to put mini or micro B connectors on anything anymore. 

Offline LogicalDave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2023, 06:52:51 pm »
In case any ST PLM is listening...

My embedded designs almost exclusively use STM32 uCs.  Although I have a number of ST brand STLink V2 and V3, what I have relied on for years are the "aluminum shell" STLinkV2 clones that are insanely inexpensive (under $3), rugged, compact, fully enclosed, have a type-A USB male connector on one side and 0.100 pin headers on the other side.  They can power the target (3v3 or 5V) and are only lacking a UART and 1v8 support.

ST surely makes no money on STLinks, so it would seem best to simply publish a reference design for the V3 MiniE and let Chinese designers and manufacturers work their magic.

What I'd find most useful is a fully enclosed unit with a keyed 2x5 0.100" connector with: GND, TxD, RxD, Vcc sense, 1v8 out, 3v3 out, 5V out, SWDIO, SWCLK, nRST similar to the V2 clone shown in the photo.

If someone wants to add more pins for triggers, poor-mans logic-analysis, etc., that would be nice, but I suspect the functions I listed above in a package like the one shown in the picture would meet 99% of my needs and probably everyone else's.  STDC14 connections could easily be handled via an ultra-low-cost tiny-adapter board with SMT 2x5 0.100 female connector on one side and SMT 2x7 0.050 pin header on the other.

Offline LogicalDave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2023, 09:29:38 pm »
ST provides a nice printable (STL file) enclosure for the MINIE on the product page under CAD Resources (https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stlink-v3minie.html#cad-resources).  The enclosure is compact and has an excellent snap fit.  I printed several in PLA on a glass bed with no supports and they worked great.  There are only two issues to be aware of:
  • The opening for the STDC14 connector is off-center and so you need to cut it a little wider (I describe how to do it quickly at the end of my blog post on the MINIE: https://www.dalbert.net/?p=1163); you can see the results in the pictures below
  • At least when using the Cura slicer, the STL file has a minor issue; you need to uncheck the “Union Overlapping Volumes” box in the Mesh Fixes section of the print settings or it will fill in the STDC14 opening

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100, fastbike

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2023, 11:16:47 pm »
Hmm I don't like it being naked... Even the cheapest plastic housing would do the job.

Yes, valid point.
Easy and quick but dirty solution is to take a piece of plastic foil from a plastic bag, wrap it around it, and then add some tape.
Shrinkwrap is also used as "housing replacement", and there are clear versions so you can still see LED's and such.

and both options are removable.
----------------------------------------------

I also just read a part of the manual. and it seems it also has SPI, I2C and uart available on it's I/O pins.
It would be really nice if this thing was easily reprogrammable. It would make an excellent upgrade for the bus pirate.
But I guess nearly any board that can run micropython can be used as a bus pirate equivalent.
And similar for the Linux SBC's with lots of I/O, and those easily run compilers and such natively.

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2023, 04:30:38 am »
Easy and quick but dirty solution is to take a piece of plastic foil from a plastic bag, wrap it around it, and then add some tape.
Shrinkwrap is also used as "housing replacement", and there are clear versions so you can still see LED's and such.

I like the the segger way...

Don't know exactly PN, but I guess that it is from transparent/clear heat shrink tubing & sleeves category.   

Offline kosthala1

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2023, 08:24:15 am »
I like the the segger way...

Me too...

The following users thanked this post: josip

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2023, 12:38:40 pm »
Maybe you have mouser/digikey PN for this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf