Author Topic: DE0-nano VGA Pong game  (Read 3453 times)

Offline rsmantiniTopic starter

DE0-nano VGA Pong game
« on: September 21, 2015, 03:06:02 am »
Hi folks, this is my first post here in the forum.
I recently bought an DE0-nano so I decided to make a pong game to learn VHDL and FPGA synthesis.(also because it's fun! :D)
Here's what a got:

ps: It's very hard to play with one hand and record with the other  :palm:

The VGA controller runs at 800x600 with 72Hz refresh rate. I used this values because it's the maximum you can get with the 50MHz oscillator that comes with the DE0-nano board without using a PLL.
To make the controls I used two analog sticks from a old playstation1 usb controller I had laying around here and the ADC that comes with the board.
The full game used something like 3k logic elements. The majority of those for the collision system. If I restricted the rackets movements only in the Y axis I think I could have done it with 1k LEs or so.
Here are some pictures of the whole thing:

If anyone want the code I can post it here, but it's a bloody mess because it was my first go with FPGAs and VHDL.

Offline MiguelSandoyaM

Re: DE0-nano VGA Pong game
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:09:46 am »
Please can you post you code I want to do something like that. I want to do a Pong game with a De0 nano but using C++

Offline asgard20032

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:13 am »
I am very interested to see your code.

Is it your first project? If so, it is very well done.

Also, if you want, I may help clean the code. I want to sharpen my code quality in VHDL, what a better exercise than some code refactoring.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:52:53 am by asgard20032 »

Offline Wiljan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:24:02 am »
You can find a Pong game here http://www.fpga4fun.com/PongGame.html with a lot of explanation so it's pretty easy to start from  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf