Author Topic: STM32: STM32F411CEU6 Device not showing up on laptop as COMS PORT  (Read 973 times)

Offline TheTechguyTopic starter

My goal is to print "hello world" on console. When ST-link v2 is connected to the microcontroller i get the blinking led and there are no errors. However when I'm trying to print "hello world" on tera term connecting to only the microcontroller is not detected as a COM port or as a USB. But I still see the blinking led on microcontroller although it doesnt show up on my laptop. I am following this article to print "hello world" https://www.bennettnotes.com/notes/stm32-blackpill-with-stmcubeide-usb-serial/ . I am stuck on this for about 3 days with no answers.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 03:12:09 am by TheTechguy »

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
Re: STM32: STM32F411CEU6 Device not showing up on laptop as COMS PORT
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 05:53:40 am »
This is dev board dependent but if you have one with a built in stm v2 debugger then it is most likely using the stlink timing crystal to provide it's OSC input and when you power the cpu only board then it wont receive this signal, to get around that you have to populate the crystal on the dev board and cut the trace going to the stlink v2

darkspr1te

Offline wek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 08:41:10 am »
DFU bootloader works (with this caveat)?

If not, problem is in hardware (cable, connectors, crystal, hubs, host/PC). If yes, problem is in your program; debug it as usually.

JW

Offline Georgy.Moshkin

• Regular Contributor
  • R&D Engineer
    • Electronic projects, modules and courses on Arduino and STM32
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 02:35:34 pm »
Have you tried to reconnect usb cable after flashing the board? To avoid plugging/unplugging, I use gpio configuration similar to this topic:
https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-embedded-software/how-does-usb-reconnect-with-the-pc-without-pull-usb-line/td-p/407423
to develop CDC firmware, so no need to unplug usb each time after flashing process.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf