Author Topic: STM32H750 + Atollic- CubeMX IDE mess!  (Read 1848 times)

Offline MTTopic starter

• Super Contributor
STM32H750 + Atollic- CubeMX IDE mess!
« on: July 13, 2019, 05:48:38 pm »
As CubeMX IDE 1.0.1 still in a mess and barely operating:

1: Was Attolic True Studio 9.3.0 the last version before ST took over?
2: Does it function flawlessly with H750 and G071 devices? (it says it supports them)
3: Are Mouser , Avnet (only to have H750 in stock as far i can see) a
    introduction happyjoyjoy priceing as H750 have been in the pipe
    for a quite long time due to various problems at ST?

Thanks!

Offline rounin

• Regular Contributor
Re: STM32H750 + Atollic- CubeMX IDE mess!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 07:22:25 pm »
1: Was Attolic True Studio 9.3.0 the last version before ST took over?

Yeah 9.3.0 is the last standalone release. It is now STM32CubeIDE, which has a release, cubemx is a plugin.

2: Does it function flawlessly with H750 and G071 devices? (it says it supports them)

It works ok. USB stack has bugs. Usual obscure missing register definitions, but I've only used the cube UART driver & basic init code & FreeRTOS v10. I've been getting bus faults & usage faults when compiling in -O2 that I think are the compiler's fault but haven't proven yet (code works fine in O1, no clear cause).

3: Are Mouser , Avnet (only to have H750 in stock as far i can see) a
    introduction happyjoyjoy priceing as H750 have been in the pipe
    for a quite long time due to various problems at ST?

Digikey had stock, but it looks like they are getting the new 480MHz silicon next month. Mouser still shows the old specs. I still haven't found a source for the new silicon rev...

The following users thanked this post: MT

Offline Freddie Chopin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 08:56:34 pm »
I've been getting bus faults & usage faults when compiling in -O2 that I think are the compiler's fault but haven't proven yet (code works fine in O1, no clear cause).
Don't get me wrong, but in 100.00% of the cases where someone suspects a compiler error, it finally turns out to be a code error (unless we are talking about bleeding-edge features of C++20) (; Obviously not your error, but knowing the (low) quality of ST code, I'm pretty sure there are at least a dozen of critical errors in the code they supply - just waiting to manifest themselves the moment you change the tiniest detail of the demo code.

Offline MTTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:43:11 pm »
Yeah 9.3.0 is the last standalone release. It is now STM32CubeIDE, which has a release, cubemx is a plugin.
Okidoky , i thought MX was part of IDE build.

Digikey had stock, but it looks like they are getting the new 480MHz silicon next month. Mouser still shows the old specs. I still haven't found a source for the new silicon rev...

Ah! i missed that one, thanks for reminder. Farnell get shipments in month 8,9,10 perhaps both gets new silicon.

Offline rounin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 12:14:47 am »
I've been getting bus faults & usage faults when compiling in -O2 that I think are the compiler's fault but haven't proven yet (code works fine in O1, no clear cause).
Don't get me wrong, but in 100.00% of the cases where someone suspects a compiler error, it finally turns out to be a code error (unless we are talking about bleeding-edge features of C++20) (;

I've actually reported bugs in MS's STL and compiler and gotten them acknowledged before, this was back when C++11 was bleeding edge though, so true enough  :). Probably 90% of the time it is my fault, 5% OS's (one comical bug in a commercial port of OpenRTOS that I was rather irritated I had to fix for them), and maybe 5% the compiler. It happens... really annoying when you spend a month thinking you must be a horrible programmer only to finally prove its something else. Kind of feels like a pyrrhic victory.

What is weird is I thought unaligned access is supposed to be valid on the cortex-m7. I'll spend some more time poking at it next month probably, try to get a minimal reproducible case.

Offline lucazader

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 08:15:57 pm »
Compiling with -O2 maybe changes the instructions used for the un-aligned access operation.
As it is only support a smaller subset of instructions when performing un-aligned access (http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0646a/BABFAIGG.html)

I usually prefer to assume un-aligned access is not going to work on cortex-M processors, as I have has so many problems using it in the past.

The following users thanked this post: rounin

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 09:24:14 pm »
I have been "asleep" for two years now, waking up and see what has changed:
- So does this mean there is now only one single package to download and install which combines CubeMx and the atollic IDE? Or still two packages the cubemx from st and the atollic ide from St/Atollic ?

- Does it still require some Java runtime library ?

Thanks!

Never mind, already found the answers.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:35:12 am by Kjelt »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf