Electronics > Microcontrollers

TI Stellaris Cortex-M3s obsoleted

(1/6) > >>

andersm:
I was surveying possible micros for a project when I noticed that TI have removed all Stellaris Cortex-M3 products from their MCU pages, and the few product pages I looked up all had the status changed to NRND. Looking around on their forum I found this thread which confirmed that this was not just some bug on their website.

This seems like a bizarre move on their part. The LM4F series is just getting into production, and is not even close to replacing the LM3S lineup, and the MSP430 and C2000 aren't very good substitutes either. This is also the second mass cull of the Stellaris series. They might just as well include links to their competition in their part selection tables.

McMonster:
It doesn't surprise me with the size of erratas of some of their M3s. Maybe they decided it's not worth making any more chips if noone wants to buy them and started working on a new M3 series?

TheDirty:
I think they inherited a lot of crap from Luminary Micro, which was the first to the CM3 game.  Now they've decided to cut their losses in the CM3 arena and bet everything on CM4F.  I think the CM3 market is saturated and there's too much competition for them to make any money there.

I just noticed this as well when I got my Stellaris Launchpad.  As nice as the LMF120 CM4F chip is, these chips are just too big for most of the things I do.

PuterGeek:
Regardless of whether they inherited 'crap' from Luminary or not, I'm glad we didn't pick a Stellaris part for our last design. NRND parts aren't in parametric search and only five (5!) of the M4 parts are available. None of the active or preview parts include Ethernet, none will be physically smaller than LQFP-64 and they won't be pin compatible with M3 parts (per their 'official' statement on the forum).

NXP was able to make their LPC17xx parts backward compatible with the older LPC24xx but TI can't with Stellaris?

I would hate to have production using a Stellaris part right now. No official word on availability, long lead times for available parts, no pin compatible replacements. And how would TI like me to explain this to my boss? Do they really expect me to choose their parts going forward?

I've been considered a rebel without a clue by employers but never a fool! What would posses me to even consider TI given this fiasco?

TI was historically considered highly reliable if a somewhat stodgy supplier. Jack Kilby, a TI researcher, was one of the inventors of practical integrated circuits. TI parts were used in military and aerospace projects for decades and at one time they were the largest IC manufacturer in the world (lost the title to Motorola and then Intel).

Now they are a sad shadow of their legacy and falling further. It seemed they had found their niche in semiconductors but I guess that was just good marketing.

nctnico:

--- Quote from: PuterGeek on December 16, 2012, 07:33:19 pm ---NXP was able to make their LPC17xx parts backward compatible with the older LPC24xx but TI can't with Stellaris?

--- End quote ---
A quick side note: NXP reps like to say the LPC1000 series is backwards compatible with the LPC2000 series but they are not. Most of the peripherals are similar but there are differences like pull-up being enabled by default, peripherals shut down by default and some peripherals are changed radically. Overall the peripherals improved but you'll need to check your software for compatibility issues and you can't simple replace an LPC2000 with a LPC1000 even though it has the same package.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version