Electronics > Microcontrollers

Tiny MCU architectures: AVR, PIC, 8051, STM8, MSP430, custom RISC...

<< < (24/25) > >>

dobsonr741:

--- Quote from: mariush on November 15, 2022, 07:49:48 pm ---Not sure if you've heard/read  Jay Carlson's "The amazing 1$  microcontroller" article / post : https://jaycarlson.net/microcontrollers/

--- End quote ---

How unfortunate RP2040 did not make the list at the solid $1.00 price point, with >100,000 available to ship immediately from DigiKey

HwAoRrDk:

--- Quote from: neil555 on February 07, 2023, 02:38:57 pm ---I was browsing ST's website last night and ALL the STM8's are now marked as NRND!  Oddly i couldn't find any mention from ST that these parts are being discontinued, has anyone here heard anything?

--- End quote ---

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the entire AF and AL lines had been marked NRND, but at that time the S and L lines had not been. But you're right, the entire STM8 line as has been now marked as NRND. :-- So much for their 10 year lifetime guarantee. Although maybe this means that they will continue to make them for 10 years from now.

An acquaintance of mine works for a company that uses a lot of STM8 in some of their product lines, and they have heard nothing.

I had a feeling something was up, though, what with the launch of the new STM32C0 line that they have been pushing marketing recently for as "a cost-effective alternative to 8-bit microcontrollers".

coppice:

--- Quote from: HwAoRrDk on February 07, 2023, 05:13:02 pm ---
--- Quote from: neil555 on February 07, 2023, 02:38:57 pm ---I was browsing ST's website last night and ALL the STM8's are now marked as NRND!  Oddly i couldn't find any mention from ST that these parts are being discontinued, has anyone here heard anything?

--- End quote ---

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the entire AF and AL lines had been marked NRND, but at that time the S and L lines had not been. But you're right, the entire STM8 line as has been now marked as NRND. :-- So much for their 10 year lifetime guarantee. Although maybe this means that they will continue to make them for 10 years from now.

An acquaintance of mine works for a company that uses a lot of STM8 in some of their product lines, and they have heard nothing.

I had a feeling something was up, though, what with the launch of the new STM32C0 line that they have been pushing marketing recently for as "a cost-effective alternative to 8-bit microcontrollers".

--- End quote ---
NRND has no effect on existing users, and if you have a 10 year supply agreement in place, that should not be affected either. Sometimes a vendor will try to negotiate their way out of long term commitments that its hard for them to keep, but they would need to provide reasonable compensation. NRND just means use of the family is a dead end.

josuah:
The RP2040 lacks a clock, a flash, and an LDO (to live off 5V straight from i.e. USB), and plenty of peripherals (which can be circumvented by the presence of PIO, that being said) and has a high amount of power drawn.

Still an interesting MCU depending on the use-case though.

I agree it would have been interesting to put it in the comparison though.

PCB.Wiz:

--- Quote from: HwAoRrDk on February 07, 2023, 05:13:02 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yes, price and availability of STM8 have worsened a lot, and there are now shiploads of pin-compatible alternates on offer, at lower prices.
The 8051 core is popular in Asia, and seems to have many vendors offering STM8 pinout variants, and many with better peripherals.
SiLabs have recently released their 5V wide Vcc 50MHz 8051's and smaller packages are coming in 2023.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version