Author Topic: Tiny, ultra-low-cost, low-voltage NVRAM to complement Padauk MCUs?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline I wanted a rude usernameTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
Some applications need a comparatively large amount of static data, even if the program memory and RAM requirements are otherwise small.

However, there seems to be a relatively high price floor on even the smallest 256 kb (32 kB) SOP-8 flash chips that can run at the full range of microcontroller voltages, around 25¢. Maybe I'm spoilt by these new sub-10¢ MCUs, but it seems like the flash, being comparatively simple, should be cheaper.

Are there any lower cost options for small non-volatile memories of any technology, in any package, say between 64 and 512 kb (8 - 64 kB)? I would like it to be readable down to 1.8 V, but it's fine if it needs a higher voltage for programming.

Online PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
Re: Tiny, ultra-low-cost, low-voltage NVRAM to complement Padauk MCUs?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:03:22 am »
Some applications need a comparatively large amount of static data, even if the program memory and RAM requirements are otherwise small.

However, there seems to be a relatively high price floor on even the smallest 256 kb (32 kB) SOP-8 flash chips that can run at the full range of microcontroller voltages, around 25¢. Maybe I'm spoilt by these new sub-10¢ MCUs, but it seems like the flash, being comparatively simple, should be cheaper.

Are there any lower cost options for small non-volatile memories of any technology, in any package, say between 64 and 512 kb (8 - 64 kB)? I would like it to be readable down to 1.8 V, but it's fine if it needs a higher voltage for programming.
The sub-10c MCUs are generally not flash, or very small flash.
Part of the issue with 32kB parts, is they also tend to creep-up other specs too, and that bumps the price.

You can get serial EEPROM quite cheap, I see  lcsc have
FT24C64A-ESR-T  2500+ $0.0554  &
BL24C128A-PARC  1000+$0.0774   
BL24C256A-PARC 1000+ $0.0878
or Flash
P25Q40H-TSH-IR  2500+ $0.0629

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline I wanted a rude usernameTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
Re: Tiny, ultra-low-cost, low-voltage NVRAM to complement Padauk MCUs?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 02:12:30 am »
Thanks, good to know that the problem was with my inferior search strategy and not with the market.

The 128 kb FT24C128A is actually 0.1¢ cheaper than its 64 kb brother.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf