Author Topic: FTDI FT90x series - any new experiences ?  (Read 2567 times)

Offline MiyukiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
FTDI FT90x series - any new experiences ?
« on: August 10, 2016, 10:56:37 am »
Hello,
I want to ask if someone have experience with those chips

They look interesting as they have integrated Ethernet phy and are available in packages with leads so can be easy soldered by hand

Or should I stay with well tested ARM mcu and external interface, or is here any cheap ARM with integrated Ethernet ? I cant find any at this price levels.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:24:18 am by Miyuki »

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
Re: FTDI FT90x series - any new experiences ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 07:51:16 am »
They look interesting as they have integrated Ethernet phy and are available in packages with leads so can be easy soldered by hand

Or should I stay with well tested ARM mcu and external interface, or is here any cheap ARM with integrated Ethernet ? I cant find any at this price levels.

You had me interested there for a second, but they have an integrated MAC, you still need an external PHY.

STM32F107 have an Ethernet MAC, and depending on package can be cheaper than FT32.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline MiyukiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me on youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:28:31 am »
You had me interested there for a second, but they have an integrated MAC, you still need an external PHY.

STM32F107 have an Ethernet MAC, and depending on package can be cheaper than FT32.

In datasheet they say that have on chip transiever and two diferential pairs are at pins
But they have chaotic documentation

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 08:49:10 am »
With so many choices from mainstream MCU manufacturers I can't see why anyone would risk going for an oddball like this - looking at the feature summary I can't see anything obvious that differentiates it.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 05:42:45 pm »

In datasheet they say that have on chip transiever and two diferential pairs are at pins
But they have chaotic documentation

Oh yes, you are right! On the web page it says "10/100 BASE-TX Ethernet MAC with MII interface; compliant with the IEEE 802.3/802.3u standards " but in the datasheet there is no mention of MII, and it in fact appears that the PHY must be onboard, even if it doesn't say mention that as a feature.

Integrated PHY seems like a Unique Selling Point, I'm surprised they don't advertise it better. I guess the web page is in error, such a basic mistake doesn't fill me with confidence.

Thanks for the heads up, I will take a closer look at these chips. I may have an application for just this type of thing (a small footprint CAN to Ethernet).
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 08:14:29 am »
I think they still haven't released the instruction set documentation for the core?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf