Author Topic: Visualizing C/C++ codebase?  (Read 895 times)

Online dobsonr741Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Visualizing C/C++ codebase?
« on: March 13, 2024, 02:17:28 pm »
What tools are you using visualizing C/C++ codebase? For dependency analysis for C, extracting UML class diagrams for C++.

Offline FlyingDutch

• Regular Contributor
Re: Visualizing C/C++ codebase?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 02:24:21 pm »
Hi,

I used Doxygen. See link:

https://github.com/nullromo/doxygen-example

Best Regards

Online martinribelotta

• Regular Contributor
  • A camel is a horse designed by a committee
    • Martin Ribelotta design services
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 02:42:52 pm »
An abandoned (but excellent) software was sourcetrails:

https://github.com/CoatiSoftware/Sourcetrail

this work fine on my PC from AppImage package but is non maintained software...

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 09:29:16 pm »
Yes Doxygen will create call graphs for you. Handy. (Using it for documentation purposes is itself more questionable and you'll find many strong opinions against it, but for analyzing source code and creating call graphs, it's fine.)

Note that if you want more control and don't want to deal with Doxygen altogether, clang can do that for you. You can pair it with Graphviz to get the graphics. More details there: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5373714/how-to-generate-a-call-graph-for-c-code

You also have CppDepend, but it's not free: https://www.cppdepend.com/

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 10:11:36 pm »
How well do those work with function pointers?

Do they presume some coding convention in their use, e.g. FSMs implemented as 2d arrays of function pointers (i.e. event+state=>action)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 02:28:25 am »
How well do those work with function pointers?
I've described in another thread I like to use ELF tools for this, specifically -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections when compiling source to object files, followed by objdump -tr on the object files to obtain full call graphs, including initialized/immutable data structures with function pointers.  This works even when the data structures have only local visibility, and requires no specific coding conventions.

The reason for using per-section data and functions, is that on some architectures, multiple symbols in the same section need additional processing to map correctly.  With per-section data objects and functions, no offset calculations are needed, as the section itself yields the source/target name at sufficient precision.  Also, run-time modifications to the structures, for example changing a function pointer, cannot be automatically resolved.

I prefer this approach over source-level examination, because I can compile my sources normally (with just the two additional options), with all optimizations I prefer enabled, and observe the actual dependencies from the object code; specifically, the ELF relocation records.

You might wish to try the above with a codebase you already have, to see what the end result looks like.  (I recommend explicitly setting LANG=C LC_ALL=C in the environment to ensure no translation, and remembering that the symbol table output is mixed delimited/fixed-width format.  The developers recommend against automatically parsing the output –– one can parse the ELF object files directly to do that ––, but for something like this, with an output parser that complains if the input format does not conform to its expectations, it is absolutely fine.)

The following users thanked this post: quince

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf