Author Topic: what have you bought lately that's cheap & cool?  (Read 26090 times)

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
Re: what have you bought lately that's cheap & cool?
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2015, 12:25:14 pm »
Unfortunately the state of Washington is in some sort of tiff with aliexpress, so no orders shipped here are allowed. Been waiting years for them to resolve it.
:o  :wtf:
Really? What's behind that?

It has something to do with their payment escrow service being unregistered/unregulated/illegal according to Washington state law. I don't know all the details, but after being this way for years now, it seems unlikely to be resolved.
Apparently the cost of filing the required paperwork shouldn't be particularly high, $1200 filing fee + a tax depending on sales to WA residents that is capped. Google, PayPal, Amazon, and others don't find it too onerous, but I guess Alibaba does. Meanwhile, they actually have employees in the state, and are considering adding a lot more, but, presumably, they can't actually make purchases through the company's services.

Apparently the check on their site is, or has been, purely client-side, so some people have just deleted some javascript using debugging tools and successfully made orders with WA delivery addresses.

No, they check on the server side now. The info you saw on the Javascript hacks is out of date. However, what does work is to pick another state, enter your city as "City, WA", and then in instructions to seller ask them to correct the address on shipping. I'm not sure I would try this on a large ticket item, as there's some risk that they don't correct the address, and then you are probably screwed. OTOH, I wouldn't be ordering any large ticket items from some no-name seller on AliExpress.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2015, 02:36:21 pm »
Got this 5V geared bipolar stepper motor + driver. $2 shipped for a single unit. Works well with Arduino or any other MSU. This is a very popular model and is available from many sellers on ebay.  I am using it for a motorized solder paste dispenser discussed here in another thread.

http://robocraft.ru/files/datasheet/28BYJ-48.pdf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291175980196

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2015, 12:32:09 pm »
Was thinking about building a retro Z80 computer and ran into these. Have no idea if there's even a die in them but for that price I am willing to find out.

20MHz Z80 CPU
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271612621247

M.
Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2015, 12:34:39 pm »
Price:US $1.38
Shipping: $99.00 ePacket delivery from China

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
    • Marctronix Blog
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2015, 12:54:10 pm »
Really!? I see free shipping (worldwide)?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 06:31:48 pm »
Probably depends on the country you're in. The funny thing is that on the shipping tab, I see $99 for both US and outside US options. ???
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2015, 08:18:38 pm »
Unfortunately the state of Washington is in some sort of tiff with aliexpress, so no orders shipped here are allowed. Been waiting years for them to resolve it.
:o  :wtf:
Really? What's behind that?

It has something to do with their payment escrow service being unregistered/unregulated/illegal according to Washington state law. I don't know all the details, but after being this way for years now, it seems unlikely to be resolved.

AliExpress seems to be working for Washington state now.  I've ordered a few things in the last few weeks including this cheap ESP8266 development board

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:20:41 pm by mtdoc »

Offline ralphdTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Nerd Ralph
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2015, 12:48:25 pm »
Got some DS18B20 temperature sensors in stainless steel probes for about a buck each.  Tested the accuracy with an ice bath and they are well within the 0.5C spec.
http://nerdralph.blogspot.ca/2015/11/ds18b20-temperature-sensor-calibration.html
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth. Einstein

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2015, 11:10:54 pm »
I managed to get some Ethernet over coax adapters for $1.25 each, and here's a teardown:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teardown-directv-ethernet-over-coax-adapter/

I also recently ordered some Android smartphones for $5 each, a pair of "gigabit" Homeplug adapters for $10 each, a $10 4.3" composite LCD, and a $25 802.11ac Ethernet extender kit (includes router and a 802.11ac to Ethernet adapter). Look forward to some teardowns once I actually get them.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 07:37:25 am »
2.5Ghz VFD display 9 digit frequency counter module off ebay  Actually really well built with a beautiful display.  $15.47 shipped.  Still can't believe how well it is built.  I checked it with my GPSDO and it was right on the money at 10,000,000hz.   don't know why I bought it as I have more frequency counters than I can count. 

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:13 am »
I forgot her name, but she had some good convo strangely enough, not that I care for Tarot cards and black magic, or her idea of waking me up with gargling.
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 12:14:58 pm »

I forgot her name, but she had some good convo strangely enough, not that I care for Tarot cards and black magic, or her idea of waking me up with gargling.

Was she gargling on you?

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 12:45:07 pm »
No but horrible noises in my bathroom do not make me wake happy
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 03:19:15 pm »
I checked it with my GPSDO and it was right on the money at 10,000,000hz. 

Likely by chance.

Its reference is a 2.5ppm tcxo -> most of the 2.5ppm tcxo I have used measured to be within 0.5ppm at room temperature.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline rqsall

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2015, 06:38:44 pm »
2.5Ghz VFD display 9 digit frequency counter module off ebay 

I searched ebay for "9 digit frequency counter" and found it quick enough (http://www.ebay.com/itm/171967974827?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT right?)

Interesting gadget, would his be useful to roll your own basic frequency counter? Is there any datasheet for it? Won't match a Fluke or HP for accuracy of course, but may give me a fighting chance to do basic adjustment of my analog oscilloscopes and function generator?

Any reason why you bought the VFD model and not the regular LED one which is about half the price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-1-60MHz-20MHz-2-4GHz-RF-Singal-Frequency-Counter-Meter-LED-display-module-RED-/331681032636?hash=item4d39bae9bc:g:8vYAAOSwNSxVZIUg

Thanks

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2015, 07:15:56 pm »
I liked the VFD.  That is what makes this thing worth the money in my opinion.  I have lost about half my vision due to glaucoma and opt for bright or red LED where possible.  I don't remember seeing a data sheet on it.  But all you would need is a front end which you could steal from about any counter as they are so simple.  I didn't look at the master oscillator to see what frequency it is but I have a few OCXOs around that would be easy to integrate.  I bought it on a whim thinking I would hang it of my tracking generator as it has an aux rf output for frequency counting.  My HP spectrum analyzer has a frequency counter in it but both that and my Advantest slow down when you engage it.

Offline rqsall

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2015, 11:53:41 am »
Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about the eye condition. VFD does look nicer, I agree. I was just wondering if there was maybe a more technical reason for it.

I guess I will be studying frequency counter front end circuits shortly...

Thanks again.

Offline brobbuilder

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2015, 10:04:42 pm »
don't know why I bought it as I have more frequency counters than I can count.

Time for frequency counter counter!

Offline brobbuilder

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2015, 10:21:26 pm »
If only I had reserved the one at the store that isn't 70 miles away :palm:

Will have to wait until next week. So sad.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2015, 10:23:29 pm »
A $5 RPi Zero.

I thought you bought the $29.95 RPi Zero Budget Pack. Then again $14.94 for the extra stuff is not a bad deal either.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2015, 04:29:18 am »
Got today the iFixit Jimmy. Works much better than one ebay tools. It's strong, thin, flexible and has a great handle.  I use it mostly to open cell phones.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Jimmy/IF145-259-1

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
    • Bruce Abbott's R/C Models and Electronics
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2015, 06:28:23 am »
Was thinking about building a retro Z80 computer and ran into these. Have no idea if there's even a die in them but for that price I am willing to find out.

20MHz Z80 CPU
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271612621247

M.
I have two of those. Mine are definitely Z80's, but the 3.5V logic high level and 150mA static current draw are a worry... I tried running a simple test program at 8MHz and it seemed to work, so I suspect they are actually the Z80B or Z80H NMOS version.

Here's my collection of 'new good quality' (yeah right!) re-branded old chips. The HD63C09E is actually the non 'E' version (subtle but important difference, since one takes external E and Q clocks while the other has a built-in crystal oscillator). The MCM2114P20 1kx4 static RAMs are actually BU2114F 8 bit shift registers!

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
    • Marctronix Blog
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2015, 10:39:25 am »
So you power them with 5V and they only output 3.5V!?  :-DD

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
    • Bruce Abbott's R/C Models and Electronics
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2015, 06:45:25 pm »
So you power them with 5V and they only output 3.5V!?  :-DD
NMOS logic outputs have passive pullups made from N channel FETs, which increase resistance as the voltage approaches Vcc.  TTL logic high is >=2.0V. The Z80 doesn't have to pull its outputs up to +5V, so it doesn't!

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
    • Marctronix Blog
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2016, 08:01:44 am »
I bought some adapter PCBs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151916828644

But it seems the solder mask on the 0.5mm pitch side has come loose. The 0.8mm pitch side seems ok.
You have been warned.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf