Electronics > Microcontrollers

Why do people not like Microchip?

<< < (47/57) > >>

Simon:

--- Quote from: T3sl4co1l on November 21, 2021, 09:21:09 pm ---

AVR-DA is 24MHz (48MHz PLL for TCD only) over the full 1.8-5.5V range, at least, as near as I can tell.  Interesting that it isn't dependent, or at least I've just not been able to spot the curve; it's a big datasheet.

--- End quote ---

I think full speed is down to 3V not 1.8V, there are two variants although for the life of me I don't get it, one proclaims to be for analogue integration yet both seem quite similar. One is more explicit about 24MHz at 3-5V, the other is just vague but I assume the same as they are out of the "same bag".

rpiloverbd:
I have no such utter disliking . But I find arduino boards and AVR Microcontrollers (Despite the fact that  microchip has taken over Atmel) more user friendly.

Simon:
Atmel set out with the AVR to appeal to the smallest entity by being the first to make the tools easy, accessible and cheap if not free in the case of the IDE. Microchip are still flogging the dead horse of selling code optimization licences in an age where one just buys a bigger chip or does not use their shit free compiler that is so lame and finds something else.

Different companies do give different vibes. STM for example seem to make a point of trumping everyone on price but hen having read some of their lawyer authored "data sheets" that seek to not tell more than they tell I would not touch anything of theirs unless my volumes where so high that the added hours were worth it. Then I wonder why the subcontractor that produced a design for my employer before I joined used a 72MHz MCU and 2 external ADC's despite the MCU containing an ADC. Granted that for the intended volume lots of time spent on it would have been a waste of money but you would think that it would be natural to use the ADC built into the STM, or maybe they came with so many caveats that it was not worth spending 10x the time picking through the detail to find out what you were dealing with.

nctnico:
Probably the reason is much more simple: the performance of the integrated ADC likely wasn't good enough for the application. x bits of resolution doesn't always mean getting x bits resolution and / or accuracy.

Simon:

--- Quote from: nctnico on December 05, 2021, 03:22:24 pm ---Probably the reason is much more simple: the performance of the integrated ADC likely wasn't good enough for the application. x bits of resolution doesn't always mean getting x bits resolution and / or accuracy.

--- End quote ---

reading a potentiometer in 1% steps is something the AVR ADC could do. So 2 potentiometers - 2 external ADC's at £1 each.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version