Author Topic: Help! I Can't Find My Entry Point!  (Read 15217 times)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
Re: Help! I Can't Find My Entry Point!
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2015, 01:09:05 pm »
Don't touch the C code, that is there for those who really want to know how this is done on an lower level.

Where did you see .net calling conventions in the C code???

Look again at the files in the SAMPLES folder, those are the files you need to concentrate on, and those are CS files, which is the fileextension for C#

Offline SuzyCTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2015, 01:20:48 pm »
Thanks again neslekkim,

In honor of all things honest and yet ignorant, I simply opened the C files with Wordpad and could quickly C that the coding looked like nothing that resembles what I have C'n so far in my short life.. too quick a glance, too little expertise to make a judgement, I was just not C sharp enough for me to tell.

Ps, thanks for you help. Now I know it is CS.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:48:10 pm by SuzyC »

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2015, 02:39:34 pm »
I presume from your previous post that you can now get the inpout32 to work, so is there a reason why you still want this WinIO thing in VB rather than C#?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2015, 04:44:39 pm »
Thanks again Wilksey, you've been been very generous with your help I want you to know that I do appreciate your comments!

The reason why..because I I don't know my entry point from my elbow about C# programming.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2015, 05:27:46 pm »
So is it purely to learn C# and how it translates to VB or are you still trying to get WinIO to VB for technical reasons (rather than just to understand the differences between C# and VB)?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2015, 05:43:12 pm »
Thanks Wilksey, it is both. I would like to work with a programming language like C# that might be able in a .net environment be able to create more powerful software than will be able to run on a computer with a Windows operating system >=XP.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2015, 07:17:54 pm »
Using VB.Net or C# is same same, you can do the same on both languages, don't worry about that.
You can use same libraries, same .net, works on same platforms and so on.

I have used vb6, vb.net in the past, but converted to C# around 2003, but that is mostly because I like the syntax better, and working with peers who use same language.

Learning C# is an good idea, depending on the teams you are working with, but if you are working alone, you should chose what is working for you.

You can download Reflector from http://www.red-gate.com/products/dotnet-development/reflector/ with this tool, you can look at .net compiled dll's, and you can chose to show the decompiled code as C# or VB.net, which can be a good way to learn also.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2015, 08:53:49 pm »
VB6 will run on Windows 8.1, just so you know, the only thing it won't do (or can't natively) is create x64, but I believe there was a new linker / compiler which extended this feature, might be wrong.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2015, 06:39:30 am »
VB6 will ...  the only thing it won't do (or can't natively) is create x64, but I believe there was a new linker / compiler which extended this feature, might be wrong.
please dont believe or dream it and yes you are wrong. VB6 is dead along with LPT et al. i'm the last mohican who is still using it... edit: if somehow you cant resist the temptation, you have to dig the archive though... http://www.javaxt.com/Tutorials/Visual_Studio/Compiling_64_bit_apps_using_Visual_Studio_6_and_Windows_Platform_SDK
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:44:26 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2015, 06:44:08 am »
VB6 will ...  the only thing it won't do (or can't natively) is create x64, but I believe there was a new linker / compiler which extended this feature, might be wrong.
please dont believe or dream it and yes you are wrong. VB6 is dead along with LPT et al. i'm the last mohican who is still using it...

VB6 might not have Microsoft support any more but it's far from dead.  There are still a large number of businesses and individuals using it.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2015, 06:47:14 am »
please dont believe or dream it and yes you are wrong. VB6 is dead along with LPT et al. i'm the last mohican who is still using it...
VB6 might not have Microsoft support any more but it's far from dead.  There are still a large number of businesses and individuals using it.
so i'm not the last then ;D but vb6 has gotten bad rep in younger community. once you uploaded the free software, you'll get backfire saying its not compatible to this and that, its not linux cross platform or such crap. edit: my previous comment maybe suited to newcomers like suzy, learning vb6 today maybe not a good idea ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:54:42 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2015, 03:03:26 pm »
Dream it?
Lol,  :popcorn:

I used VB for years, even got VB for dos somewhere, I know Microsoft hadn't created a x64 linker / compiler but there are community members who have changed the linker to, for example, produce actual DLL's rather than just the wrappered ones.

Anyway, no I wouldn't recommend learning it for new programmers, it's far too outdated to be viable to learn, unless it is purely for fun and nostalgic reasonings.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2015, 02:17:35 am »
I know Microsoft hadn't created a x64 linker / compiler but there are community members who have changed the linker to, for example, produce actual DLL's rather than just the wrappered ones.
32bits apps run perfectly fine in 64bit windows, so why bother?

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2015, 09:07:43 pm »
I'm not saying you should, just thinking forward, and backing up the statement that VB6 should not really be learnt for new development.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf