Electronics > Microcontrollers

Why doesn't anyone want NXP's LPCs?

(1/4) > >>

luiHS:

Months ago I already stocked up on several models of 32bit microcontrollers to be able to work during the next few months, given the shortage, which seems to continue in 2022, and it is not known if also in 2023.

Right now there is practically nothing in stock at the usual suppliers. I managed to buy, at the time, quite a few microcontrollers from NXP and ST, mainly RT1024, RT1064, RT1166, RT1171, RT1172, STM32H747 and STM32H757. I also bought quite a few CAN bus FD controllers and some I2S sound amplifiers.

I recently tried to buy the RT1062s that Teensy4 uses, but someone beat me to it and bought them all, I think a little over 1000 units, I also tried a couple of hundred RT1166s that were put up for sale, but still someone bought all the next day.

I was reviewing the suppliers' stocks, to see what is in 32 bit, and I see that there are many NXP LPCs. What happens with these microcontrollers, why does nobody want them? There are references in general that remain unsold, I suppose because they are BGA with a very fine pitch of 0.65mm or less, but there are quite a few LPC references with a pitch of 0.8mm.

I have never used LPCs, but if necessary due to the lack of other microcontrollers, I could use them. Now I have quite a lot of other microcontrollers that I already bought months ago, but we don't know how long the shortage of components will last, it is said that 2022 will continue the same, and it is not known if also 2023.

nctnico:
Appearantly a lot of people are using NXP LPC controllers because everywhere I look they are all sold out. So I'd like to know where you have spotted some stock. Maybe you have seen the older ARM7TDMI parts but except for a large BGA package the stock levels are low to non existent.

rstofer:
I started using ARMs with the LPC2106, moved to the LPC2148 and now the LPC1768.  These are relatively old devices, particularly the LPC21xx chips.

I use the ARM mbed.org site and their online toolchain to work with the LPC1768.  The fact that I can drag and drop an Ethernet stack into my project (along with a LOT of other library functions) makes it all work out.  I can also edit and compile from anywhere with an Internet connection.

https://os.mbed.com/platforms/mbed-LPC1768/
https://os.mbed.com/

Yes, the chip is slower than a Teensy 4.1 and it doesn't have near the features.  Maybe those aren't necessary for every project.

mikeselectricstuff:
I used the LPC2130 and 2136 a while ago - they were good for their time, but I think the ST parts took away a lot of market due to lower cost. NXP also had an annoying habit of "fixing" bugs that were 100% work-aroundble so code with the workarounds didn't work on the newer parts. 

coppice:

--- Quote from: mikeselectricstuff on January 27, 2022, 06:27:05 pm ---NXP also had an annoying habit of "fixing" bugs that were 100% work-aroundble so code with the workarounds didn't work on the newer parts.

--- End quote ---
That's nasty. We always worked on the basis that we couldn't break code in something fully released to market (i.e. fixing early samples was OK). If we had to fix a bug, it either became a part with a distinct suffix or the fix had to default to bad operation from reset, and require the software to enable good operation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version