Author Topic: Are FINISAR optical Transceivers Cisco Nexus compatible?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline HoracioDosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
Are FINISAR optical Transceivers Cisco Nexus compatible?
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:28:16 pm »
Hello.
I don't know if it is the right place to ask.
Does anyone have any experience using a FINISAR FTLX1475D3BCL 10Gb optical transceiver with a Cisco Nexus 5672UP Switch? Are these transceivers compatible with CISCO?  We already asked for an answer in CiSCO without success.
Thanks in advance!

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
Re: Are FINISAR optical Transceivers Cisco Nexus compatible?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 04:15:42 pm »
They should.

The following users thanked this post: HoracioDos

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 11:45:57 am »
Theres a good chance that Cisco sources their own brand transceivers from someone like Finisar, but with their own part numbers etc.

In the old days, to make a non-Cisco branded optic work in one of their boxes you would use the "service unsupported-transceiver" command to make it "ignore" the fact it wasnt a Cisco optic. I dont know if that works on a Nexus, its been some time since I have worked with Cisco on a daily basis (long enough that I havent actually worked on a Nexus box at all...)

Otherwise, I would suggest you go to something like the cisco-nsp (c-nsp) mailing list and ask. If you cant already find the answer by searching the archives, someone will probably give you an answer quicker than here.

The following users thanked this post: HoracioDos

Offline HoracioDosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 08:45:13 pm »
Hello @TomS
They finally worked, but we had to run "service unsupported-transceiver" as you said. Cisco wanted to scare us with this message after that.
"Warning: When Cisco determines that a fault or defect can be traced to the use of third-party transceivers installed by a customer or reseller,then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or a Cisco support program. In the course of providing support for a Cisco networking product Cisco may require that the end user install Cisco transceivers if Cisco determines that removing third-party parts will assist Cisco in diagnosing the cause of a support issue."

While digging in Cisco forum we found this.

Q. Do the Cisco Switches interoperate with SFPs from other vendors?
A. Yes, starting from 12.2(25)SE release, the user has the option via CLI to turn on the support for 3rd party SFPs. However, the Cisco TAC will not support such 3rd party SFPs. In the event of any link error involving such 3rd party SFPs the customer will have to replace 3rd party SFPs with Cisco SFPs before any troubleshooting can be done by TAC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf