Author Topic: Are there any proper WLAN amplifier available for individuals?  (Read 3405 times)

Offline LoganTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi guys.
I want to find a WLAN amplifier that connects between the wireless card and the antennas.
But after lots of search, I still cannot find anything other than those unbranded craps.
I want one that is not unnecessarily big, but from a good brand, and can connect to a consumer WLAN card, which should support at least g/n/ac protocols, and TX output at least 27dbm(500mW). It would be great if RX sensitivity can also be enhanced.
Any recommendations for that?
Thanks!

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
Re: Are there any proper WLAN amplifier available for individuals?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 10:27:37 pm »
In the us and most of the world there is no legal way for most people to use an amplifier thus you will not find any "proper" devices from recognizable manufacturers.

Offline geggi1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 10:48:23 pm »
If you are going to use this as an link you shuld put most of your gain in the antenna. You can get a grid antenna with 30dB gain at each end and still have the same link budget.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 01:59:24 pm »
Just use a high power card.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 02:19:18 pm »
After a certain point antenna gain gets considerably more expensive than transmit power gain.

The "4W" 2.4GHz no-name amplifiers are decent 1.5W amplifiers, the amateur radio community experimented with them for satellite uplink and they're well documented. Depending on where you are, they're probably not legal to use on WiFi.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 02:28:49 pm »
Hi guys.
I want to find a WLAN amplifier that connects between the wireless card and the antennas.
But after lots of search, I still cannot find anything other than those unbranded craps.
I want one that is not unnecessarily big, but from a good brand, and can connect to a consumer WLAN card, which should support at least g/n/ac protocols, and TX output at least 27dbm(500mW). It would be great if RX sensitivity can also be enhanced.
Any recommendations for that?
Thanks!

There are two approaches. You can use repeater stations to get coverage to different rooms that may not have a good direct signal.

A second approach is to make the antenna more directional. This is especially useful if you want to make point to point connections, for example to an outbuilding. There are various instructions available for home build solutions.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 10:00:11 pm »
What exactly are you trying to achieve Logan?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf