Author Topic: Experience with LoRaWAN confirmed packets? (I'm having issues w/ EU868)  (Read 1813 times)

Offline globoyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I am developing a LoRaWAN product and using the Laird RM1xx module (Nordic nRF51822 + Semtech Sx1272).  I do local testing with a RAK Wireless 2243 module but don't have a lot of LoRaWAN test gear (any...).  I have seen an issue I can't explain when using confirmed packets with the RM186 (EU868) module.  Despite the device and gateway's close proximity I do not see a great number of confirmations so my packets are repeatedly resent.  A confirmation eventually is received.  I do not see this behavior at all with the RM191 (US915).  The confirmation packets are received every time.  Laird does have different firmware for each device but the API is the same.

Ultimately my EU868 devices will be on a network with Kirlink iStation gateways.

I have a couple of questions for people who ave more experience.

Has anyone else seen issues like this?

How often do devices use confirmed packets?  I would like to use them because I am occasionally sending state transition information that I don't want lost.

Thanks.

Offline Araho

• Regular Contributor
All LoRaWAN documentation I have seen says that you should never design a system that requires ACKs / Confirmations. A gateway is limited to the same 1% airtime as a device, so if 100 devices are connecting through that gateway, the downlink window is spread across all of them. If each device requires ACKs, that'll quickly fill up the allowed transmission time.

The following users thanked this post: globoy

Offline globoyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Ah, interesting.  Thank you.

Offline thirteeneast

Sounds like fair use policy or a useless TTN (there areba few about)

I've sent packets miles using LoRaWAN, I have projects that have been running a few years now, not really had any issues apart from a few poorly manufactured sensors that I now steer clear of. (French)

I generally find the RAK to be good and certainly some of the most innovate in the market.

Im also unsure how your TTN would handle using the wrong frequency for your country for all the back office etc

Regards.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:46:11 am by thirteeneast »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf