Author Topic: Good book suggestions to give me the best overview of networking and internet  (Read 188 times)

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
So I'm getting sick and tired of not knowing what the hell I'm doing with networks. I run a pfSense router, and some nice doohickeys with it, but I'm kinda annoyed that
I'm just bumbling around and don't really know how it actually works. In my mind, the best way to fix that is to get some actual paper books to read, so I can finally
learn how this stuff works.

I'm asking specifically for good, reasonably detailed, not overly simplified books I can buy on Amazon US (or some easy to shop place if I must) that detail the following things (doesn't need to be just one book)

How networks and the internet work from a physical, structural, and philosophical perspective
Unix networking, how it worked back then, and how it works today
IPv6 design philosophy and structures, how it's put together, how I can use it efficiently
NAT, Routing, DHCP, DNS, Proxies, everything I need to have fun
TLS/SSL and security in general, how things are secured, and how I can secure them
Basics of popular protocols like HTTP, FTP, SMTP, IMAP/POP3, VPNs, the things we use every day
(Bonus Points) networking on OpenBSD, with emphasis (or just being about) pf

The goal is to eventually know enough to where I can set up my own OpenBSD replacement for pfSense I've configured myself, knowing fully how all the components work. Take that to mean Unix is a good frame of reference
here, as that's what I'm used to, but I also know that nothing is in a vacuum, and other systems had tons of influence and are still relevant today, even if it's historical.

I know this is a lot, but this is genuinely how I learn best, by starting at the bottom and working my way to the top. I hope this isn't to weird, and that it's known that I understand the first part of learning something new is saying I don't know.

Thanks for any pointers.
Professional complainer-in-chief criticizing other people's code
Programmer and bumbling Unix fool
Op @ EEVBlog IRC: irc.austnet.irc #eevblog

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
A couple of years ago I bought a book for the same reason. Computer Networking: A Top Down Approach (Kurose and Ross). Most likely I bought it based on Amazon reviews. I've gone through it several times, but something about the writing style just doesn't click with me. While I did learn a lot, I think watching Eli the Computer Guy's series on youtube was nearly as beneficial.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf