Products > Networking & Wireless

Home server

(1/5) > >>

JPortici:
I'm not sure if it's the right section, but in the following months i would like to build myself a home server. The thing would have to accomplish several tasks:
- Private Git server
- Home Automation? (Maybe, but i'm going to need that for a project anyway..)
- NAS, maybe media server?
- Backups (of NAS/Git)
- Other, for experiments if i don't want to run virtual machines on my PC

The first question i want to ask: Could it make sense to have a single PC with a barebones linux and a virtual machine for every task, instead of several smaller machines.. or instead of running everything on one OS, which i don't really want to do.
Second question: It would probably be running 24/7, so what would i be looking for? lower power intel mini pc? a more powerful SBC? can ARM SBC create and use virtual machines? Though i probably want a separate hard disk for every image, or at least separate hard disk for backups, and that may rule out most SBCs in a sensitive price range

DiTBho:
I'm the wrong person to suggest other things, because... well, I do very weird things with weird hw (I am writing on GNU/Linux SH3 laptop, at the moment), but I can suggest one thing (and, being x86, it's strange that I suggest it myself)

have a look at Zimaboards, see here  :o :o :o

that stuff supports containers, XEN, qemu ... and it looks perfect for your needs.

bitwelder:
At least for Git server, home automation and other tasks that don't require extensive storage I'd suggest to go with something like a (2nd hand) Lenovo ThinkCentre m920q (or similar m900q model), in Tiny form-factor, i.e. it's a small box less than 20x20x4 cm, with a recent Intel processor.
It could either run some hypervisor like Proxmox, so to have totally independent virtual machines, or some standard Linux distro and use e.g. docker to just containerize your appplications.
HP has also a line of tiny PCs, I think it's named Elite Mini 800.

Depending on the storage needs for the backup/NAS functions, perhaps it could be used also for that  (it's a small box, so internally there is not more space than a couple of 2.5" disk and perhaps an M.2 module)

madires:

--- Quote from: JPortici on April 12, 2024, 07:14:15 am ---The first question i want to ask: Could it make sense to have a single PC with a barebones linux and a virtual machine for every task, instead of several smaller machines.. or instead of running everything on one OS, which i don't really want to do.

--- End quote ---

Yes, but it depends on your requirements. Another alternative could be Docker.

--- Quote from: JPortici on April 12, 2024, 07:14:15 am ---Second question: It would probably be running 24/7, so what would i be looking for? lower power intel mini pc? a more powerful SBC? can ARM SBC create and use virtual machines? Though i probably want a separate hard disk for every image, or at least separate hard disk for backups, and that may rule out most SBCs in a sensitive price range

--- End quote ---

The most important thing for you is to figure out what exactly you need. Your short list doesn't tell much. Maybe a NAS supporting VMs could be sufficient.

JPortici:

--- Quote from: madires on April 12, 2024, 02:03:45 pm ---Maybe a NAS supporting VMs could be sufficient.
--- End quote ---
does such a thing even exist? (rethorical question i guess) I always thought them/treated them as dumb boxes that expose an HDD to the network.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version