Author Topic: Hosting open Wifi AP on Tor or VPN?  (Read 1793 times)

Online NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Hosting open Wifi AP on Tor or VPN?
« on: April 17, 2020, 04:50:36 am »
With COVID-19 causing a widespread economic crisis, including poorer households being pushed to conserve money, the idea of richer/less poor individuals sharing their Internet service with less fortunate neighbors has come about. Then I thought that rather than just putting up an open AP directly on your network with all the potential problems it could cause, what if the AP was hosted on Tor or VPN? If I understand correctly, done right it will isolate your private network from the outside world and misuse would not be traced to your home IP.

I have no plan to actually put up an AP like that, but it's still an interesting idea to think about. How good of an idea would it be really? Would a "ready to go" image (that is specifically designed to be secure against attackers on the open AP) for low cost computing platforms like Raspberry Pi and low end OpenWRT routers be useful to allow the less technically inclined to help their neighbors?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
Re: Hosting open Wifi AP on Tor or VPN?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 05:34:13 am »
It just shifts the problem elsewhere because someone still has to run the exit nodes. I say set up WPA enterprise instead and only give accounts to people you know.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 11:40:03 am »
I would host it on a VPN and have plans to do exactly that; doing so avoids legal entanglements.  The only disadvantage is that some sites do not allow access via a known VPN.

Online NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 10:52:51 pm »
It just shifts the problem elsewhere because someone still has to run the exit nodes.
Which are run by operators already in a good position to avoid trouble from abuse. I would have to guess that piracy will also be up as a result of cutting costs and open APs would practically be lightning rods for pirates who want to avoid getting caught.
I would host it on a VPN and have plans to do exactly that; doing so avoids legal entanglements.  The only disadvantage is that some sites do not allow access via a known VPN.
I'd imagine very, very few would cancel their Internet service before their streaming services, especially when lots of public areas are closed.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 08:58:00 pm »
Just made me wonder if "fon" still is a thing...

https://fon.com/maps/

Apparently it is, especially in "some" parts of Europe, Japan and South Korea Brazil and the Australian east coast.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf