Author Topic: How does copper turned black affect internet quality?  (Read 2140 times)

Offline forumateTopic starter

• Contributor
How does copper turned black affect internet quality?
« on: May 22, 2022, 08:01:11 pm »
I need to move my router to a different location in the house. But the new location actually has an older cable and I can't put the other there:
https://imgur.com/a/jr0e4AG

you think that can affect internet quality? What is it? oxidation?

Ty

Offline AmnevaR

• Contributor
Re: How does copper turned black affect internet quality?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 08:18:43 pm »
That cable looks sketchy.
Shouldn't you have at least two pairs (ideally four) of twisted wire inside the cable?

The following users thanked this post: forumate

Offline forumateTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 08:49:05 pm »
I forgot to mention - that cable is probably around 30 years old

That's a very old house where these cables used only for land phone and no need for the extra features in the second pair so I think that was standard 30 years ago where I live

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 09:02:47 pm »
30 years is only 1990. I have 1960 copper wire still as bright as the day it was sleeved. Maybe your line was the cheapest wire they had at Radio Shack? Internet quality is about having a good signal-to-noise ratio between the exchange and the DSL router - which is what I assume you have? With that oxide the SNR will degrade a little bit. Just condemn the cable and put in a clean line. Or pony the mains with power-line extenders.

The following users thanked this post: AmnevaR, forumate

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 10:36:49 pm »
Can you use the existing tarnished cable to pull a new cable through the conduit or other path?

The following users thanked this post: forumate

Online BTO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 04:00:47 pm »
yes you can
Except

1. Use duct tape and tape it on securely

2. Ensure that the wire is not broken mid way

3. Ensure that it's free to move and not obstructed in any way

but those 3 things aside........ yeah you can totally pull through a new length while using the old one,   that's what guys like me do and hope for
in most cases
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 09:37:26 am »
Yes, that looks like oxidized metal. Most often when I see wire that black it is oxidized silver which some copper wire is coated with.

The insulation usually does a very good job of protecting the wire. Gases (air) has a hard time penetrating more than a small distance from the end of the insulation. I would cut off the stripped ends and about an additional inch of the insulated wire and strip it again. I bet you will see either bright silver or bright copper. If that is so, then the wire is as good as the day it was made.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 03:44:33 am »
yes you can
Except

1. Use duct tape and tape it on securely

2. Ensure that the wire is not broken mid way

3. Ensure that it's free to move and not obstructed in any way

but those 3 things aside........ yeah you can totally pull through a new length while using the old one,   that's what guys like me do and hope for
in most cases

I know this is a month old thread, so OP may not be looking anymore -- but in case this is still useful.

This is an extension of point #3 above:  The cable/wiring may be stapled to the lumber behind the drywall -- either by design or dictated by building codes.  You may want to "peek" up the wall with an endoscope (aka snake camera) to see if you found such staples.

The two photos are on the basement horizontal lumber (easier to photo).  First photo is AC power cable, the second one is POT lines (4-wires cat3) from a room 2nd floors up from the basement.  During repairs, I saw similar staples for wiring on the vertical 8x4 lumber as well.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 03:48:18 am by Rick Law »

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 08:10:46 am »
I need to move my router to a different location in the house. But the new location actually has an older cable and I can't put the other there:
https://imgur.com/a/jr0e4AG

you think that can affect internet quality? What is it? oxidation?

Ty

Try it?

Oxidation is only on the surface of the metal, it doesnt rot through like an old apple.

If youre crimping onto the ends of it with new connectors or punching down onto an IDC block, the metal contacts will break through any oxidation and make contact with fresh metal underneath. If youre screwing the conductors down onto a terminal block then the oxidation will also probably be broken through and some contact with fresh metal will also be made. Or you can try and clean the oxidation off and apply some dielectric grease to help keep it looking shiny for a longer time.

It may be perfectly fine and you dont need to go to the expense and trouble of pulling new cable in. No point worrying about whether its going to be good or bad until you try it and find out IMO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf