Products > Networking & Wireless

Mobile Internet with 4G router: problems with IP

<< < (2/2)

rob77:

--- Quote from: AndyBeez on August 08, 2022, 09:37:47 pm ---Not convinced... I would assume the class C 192.168.n.n/16 network is defined by the DHCP server on your router. The 4G link is the gateway address - which is often a class A or B range on 4G masts. I suspect some other glitch. Insure the DHCP server on the router is nailed down to 192.168.3.n/24 - That's subnet 255.255.255.0

--- End quote ---

as i understand the issue:
he has 192.168.3/24 on his LAN side , his cameras are set to static IP... his ISP gives him a WAN IP from 192.168.3 and his router to avoid conflict is changing it's LAN IP and it's DHCP server pool to 192.168.4/24... when it happens his IP cameras with static IP configured will stop working... once the WAN dhcp lease expires and he gets a WAN IP different from 192.168.3.x his router resumes operation as normal.

re-IP the LAN segment to something from 172.16/12 would do the trick (use something randomly from the upper half to lower the chance of conflict :) e.g. 172.27.136.0/24 or whatever else

AndyBeez:
Set the cameras to get their IP address from the DHCP server on the router. Use address reservation on the router to give the cameras 'fixed' IP addresseseseses. And make the router static IP if that's possible with this bizzare setup?
Is there a WAN gateway address?

Bicurico:

--- Quote from: rob77 on August 08, 2022, 09:57:09 pm ---
as i understand the issue:
he has 192.168.3/24 on his LAN side , his cameras are set to static IP... his ISP gives him a WAN IP from 192.168.3 and his router to avoid conflict is changing it's LAN IP and it's DHCP server pool to 192.168.4/24... when it happens his IP cameras with static IP configured will stop working... once the WAN dhcp lease expires and he gets a WAN IP different from 192.168.3.x his router resumes operation as normal.

re-IP the LAN segment to something from 172.16/12 would do the trick (use something randomly from the upper half to lower the chance of conflict :) e.g. 172.27.136.0/24 or whatever else

--- End quote ---

That is more or less it, or at least it is what I thought: that the router automatically changed it's LAN IP to 192.168.4.x and the DHCP server as well.

However, after resetting the router and reconfiguring it, I checked and the WAN IP is 10.x.x.x. So I guess that was not the case.

I am not sure what happend, it could have been the IP provider, a FW bug, someone hacking the router (I doubt that, because the provider uses NAT and there is no external access to the router).

While the cameras are using DHCP assigned IP's, I have several routers in AP mode, which use static IP's. Also, there are two E2 receivers with static IP's. I don't want to change those IP's to some other range and I believe that I have not done anything wrong: I am using private IP ranges.

Anyway, since I don't know what happend and it is currently working as supposed, I will wait if this happens again for further action. The action might consist in changing to the provider I was using before: that one worked fine for 2 years. I only changed the provider, because download speeds were getting ridiculously low, probably due to increasing demand of the local cell.

Thanks,
Vitor

madires:
Sounds like a classic prefix clash. And it would be avoidable if Vodafone would use 100.64.0.0/10 which is a shared IPv4 address space especially for CGNAT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_shared_address_space). They are not the only one not doing their homework. :--

SiliconWizard:
Most of those 4G "routers" suck. Unfortunately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version