Products > Networking & Wireless

RJ45 CAT6 crimp - is this one reliable?

(1/4) > >>

Drirr:
Hi,
I am trying to crimp shielded RJ45 connectors (CAT6, S/FTP, 23AWG)
All wires "jumped" to right side - as you can see in the picture.
Is this "ok"?  I do not think so...
I used to crimp CAT5E unshielded cables, but all wires were centered.
Any idea what to do/check? Should I buy RJ45 from different manufacturer? What can be wrong?

Drirr:
So the problem was bad connector, bought from different manufacturer and problem is gone

wraper:
I'm quite certain connector is good. The issue is there are two connector types, for solid wire and for stranded wire. I've seen plenty of times connectors for stranded wires crimped on solid wires.

Drirr:
Both connectors were specified for solid wire. The difference is, that first one was "universal" for wire diameter 0,8-1,5mm (including isolation). It is better not to buy universal RJ-45. New one was 1mm diameter max.

BTO:
Ok first of all
- You are not Crimping (let's dispense with bad habits)  You are TERMINATING , it's technically a COMPRESSION connector
   but certainly not a crimp connector (Look up the definition of CRIMPING)  this is not it

What happens when you terminate a connector is , the gold plated blades cut into the cable and form A TERMINATION (A conductive path)
  there is no crimping

- RJ45 is the wrong term to use as it refers to the Jack (Registered Jack 45), What you have here is a MODULAR PLUG or 8P8C Connector

- does it look good ?
No.. firstly i can see that the gold connectors are not lined up properly,  likely you didn't compress it hard enough

- Secondly, it doesn't look like you have the colouring scheme correct

LOOK AT THIS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

You want to be using  T568A WIRING DIAGRAM
(The one where the orange and Orange/White are not together) but all other pairs are with their corresponding whites

as for the shield (well, you need a shielded Modular plug) if the plug doesn't have a metal ground then there was no point to buy
a STP (shielded Twisted Pair) Cable, in which case you can just cut the foil away and not use it

You also need to buy a modular plug that is suited to CAT6 and (i'm assuming you have SOLID CORE Cable) suitable for solid core cable

that's what i can see wrong with it

also you can end up buying crappy termination tools
when you buy it, compress it very slowly and WATCH THE TEETH COME DOWN
if they wiggle on the way down, don't buy it
if they come straight down , then it's ok
a lot of the time when they wiggle they will not make good contact with the pins on the modular plug and they'll bend them out of shape

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version