Author Topic: Tell me about RJ45 Panel connectors, Infinite between in and pcb pins.  (Read 894 times)

Offline QmavamTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I pulled a panel mount RJ45 connector from an old Linksys router to use in a non data digital data project*. Just for kicks I wanted to make sure that the input pins were in the same order as the pcb  pins. There is no connect between the in and the out! It seems I'm unfamiliar with how they work, to say the least. I removed the metal case from the panel mount, First thing I noticed there was thin grounding wire soldered to the inside of the case, that I broke. Then I notice four tin potted toroids inside the connector. Pin 1+2 or soldered together.
 I suspect the toroids are transformers and that is why I don't see any connection from input to output. Tell me what going on.
 My project needs direct straight through connections and I'll try to dig out the potting put if that fails, I'm looking at an Amazon product,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html?ref_=nav_cart
 Would this have the same arrangement with the toroids?
                                        Thanks, Mikek

* I'm running RF and DC on the twisted pairs.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
The RJ45 sockets you've taken from the router have the Ethernet magnetics integrated. What you want is just the plain RJ45 socket which is also less expensive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:06:46 pm by madires »

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
OP: no one can see the items in your Amazon cart :palm:

Offline QmavamTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
[ Specified attachment is not available ]Well That's a revolting development!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CZGJVS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A7QNKLNRR5QSB&psc=1

Or this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Assmann-WSW-Components-A-RJ45KU-R-Waterproof-Panel-Mount-Jack-Set-of-5/163619270179?hash=item261877ee23:g:x98AAOSwKLxbXOuJ

I did remove all the components and PCB then ran wires to complete the connections from in to out. It's not pretty, but no shorts.

Mikek
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:06:59 pm by Qmavam »

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
Those look like they are meant to be a stand alone socket at the end of a length of cable, e.g. on a wall plate. This is evidenced by the IDC terminals on the rear side. So probably they dont contain integrated magnetics.

Sockets with integrated magnetics would only be found in active electronics, ala your router, perhaps where space on the PCB is a real concern.

Raspberry Pi uses sockets with integrated magnetics due to space constraints. I believe at one point they had an issue where sockets without magnetics were assembled onto boards, and resulted in the ethernet ports not working correctly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf