Products > Networking & Wireless

Windows 10 Serial Port Networking

<< < (3/4) > >>

voltsandjolts:
Interesting - can we have a link for the microwave modems?

Halcyon:

--- Quote from: Macbeth on March 22, 2019, 10:49:56 pm ---Blimey, SLIP/PPP - how I got our factory networked in the early 90's with Amigas (AmiTCP) and 386/486/Pentiums back in the day. Trumpet Winsock anyone?  :-+

--- End quote ---

Oh wow, you just flung me right back to primary school just then. Early 1990's, single IBM PC in the library running Windows for Workgroups 3.11, connected to the internet via a 28.8k modem. Those were the days.

Tony_G:
Just spitballing here but maybe you could look into running pfSense under WSL on a Win10 box at each end?

TonyG

extide:
pfSense runs on FreeBSD, not Linux. WSL also doesnt really provide 'real' NIC's to the linux guest. You would be better off with a real VM or physical machines.

ogden:

--- Quote from: LaserSteve on March 22, 2019, 08:49:01 pm ---I have a pair of really fast, really sophisticated, really long distance microwave modems, think big dish.
IO on the RF modem is serial port with a buffer and full handshaking.

--- End quote ---

What you mean by "really fast"? Any specs of serial port? Some think that 128kbps is fast, others say that 155.52 Mbit/s (STM-1, also serial) is not enough fast.

Anyway I would use two routers. In case you have 2Mbit serial interface on that microwave thing, you could be fine with two Cisco 1700 routers equipped with WIC-1T cards. Just checked that you can get such (router+card) for 60..70$ on fleaBay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version